PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks- Ignorance is NOT Bliss

barrywin
13-12-09, 05:28
Speaking from personal experience, the first and second Panic Attacks were the most TERRIFYING experiences I have ever had the what I now view as PLEASURE to experience.
The first Panic Attack resulted in me harming myself and being hospitalized and the second one also resulted in me being hospitalized I was so scared out of my wits.

IGNORANCE DEFINITELY WAS NOT BLISS IN THIS CASE!!!!

THE REASON I NOW SAY 'PLEASURE' IS BECAUSE; IF WE CAN DEFEAT AND CONQUER ONE OF THE MOST FRIGHTENING THINGS EVER LIKELY TO HAPPEN TO US, DOESN'T THIS NOW GIVE US CONFIDENCE THAT WE OVERCOME ANY LIMITATION???

They left such frightening imprints on my mind that I HAD to find out as much as I could about them.

THE FIRST 2 PANIC ATTACKS WERE ONLY SO TERRIFYING BECAUSE I WAS TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL DUE TO THE ADRENALIN, RACING HEART, SWEATING AND DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME. I FEARED FOR MY SANITY AND LIVED IN FEAR THAT THEY WOULD COME BACK AGAIN WHICH THEY INEVITABLY DID!

I say Pleasure now because after much research I have come to understand them and am now not frightened of them and give them about as much interest as a stubbed toe, twisted ankle or a burnt finger etc....

They do pass and they can NOT hurt you!!!

On the rare occasions now when I feel a panic attack attack coming on I view it as a matter of jumping off of a kerb, a mere 1--2 foot drop compared to the fear of falling off a cliff top as in the past. sO I JUMP and guess what?? Nothing happens!! The vicious circle of fear-panic-fear or fear -adrenalin -panic-fear doesn't get to materialize because once you have the knowledge of what is going on in your body you are no longer scared so there is no vicious circle cycle!

I just become aware of the sensations, realize that it is only the adrenalin rush causing these sensations and carry on with what I'm doing and the Panic then never manages to get a grip because I'm not afraid.

It's the same with anxiety and the churning stomach. be aware of it but just carry on doing what you were doing normally as though the churning stomach sensations were nothing more than mild toothache or headache etc.... with the churning stomach, Try not to give it more importance than the feeling merits and just carry on as normal instead of FREEZING and OVER ANALYZING.
Consider writing down on paper your thoughts in a logical list fashion as opposed to letting your thoughts go round endlessly in your head creating un-necessary tension.

Also remember -- if possible REST is a weapon -- Panic and Anxiety are far more likely to hit us when we are physically and/or emotionally tired. Play relaxing music and read at the same time in your leisure time as opposed to just laying there worrying!
Better still -- go for a walk playing vividly on the movie screen of your mind wonderful happy childish romantic playful laughing moments-- motion leads to emotion and after a few minutes walking you've often forgotten that your stomach was even churning!
Best wishes to all and hope this helps.
Barry

munkeyinblack
13-12-09, 12:45
another great post Barry, though sometimes its hard not to be scared when the thing your most scared of is yourself

Munkey
x

Alana29
13-12-09, 13:13
Brilliant post....I believe what you said works,i try and succeed in them technics!
The whole process of getting better is confronting our fears..I.e we fear the symptoms of an attack and anxiety..Once we realise that they will never hurt us,an d can deal will them in an controlled way,we are almost there (thankful to say,i believe i am almost there)...The mind is an amzing and yes also frighting place,but always know no-one but ourselves control our thinking,we are capable of changing the negative thoughts to positive!
Good luck with everyone and well done for even the smallest steps you are making
Alana
x

barrywin
13-12-09, 13:28
Dear Munkey,

We all have "crazy" thoughts from time to time and thoughts that scare us and we wonder "where did those thoughts come from" It's perfectly natural and nothing to be scared of. Why should we be frightened of ourselves -- concentrate and focus on loving and accepting yourself more and changing the things you can and accepting the things you can't and having the wisdom to know the difference. Best wishes bazza xx

Veronica H
13-12-09, 21:20
:yesyes::bighug1:Freat post Barry.

Veronica

bomberbeamish
13-12-09, 21:47
great post,, i think i will print it out, x

Clayton the Panicked
14-12-09, 13:41
Good post, however it is very difficult to get a handle on the fear of the feelings. I mean, it is scary and although I truly know and truly believe in what the fact are (that I am NOT in real physical danger and that this is a "Normal" thing for everybody but that mine is acting improperly or at improper times) it still manages to strangle the good reason out of me...it still terrorizes me. I am going to try these techniques along with any other that I find because this Monster seemingly can dominate me whenever it chooses. Sometimes I do manage to minimize it but only about half the time. Then the bad ones run wild on my all day leaving me feeling completely spent and hardly able to move. I have made precise notes though of these techniques discussed and will certainly add them to my arsenal the next time. Thanks