PDA

View Full Version : Should i stop taking Fluoxetine?

craigos27
13-12-09, 17:27
Hi. I am looking for some advice really. I have been put on Fluoxetine 20mg as I was suffering from really bad anxiety - the GP said i was depressed however I believe that anxiety was making me depressed! I have also been prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline to take on a night as since i started the Fluoxetine i have got really bad insominia. I have been taking the Fluoxetine for 2 weeks. Since taking these i have:

-became more depressed.
-became more lethargic
-feel detached from the world
-had a lot of racing thoughts / feel obsessive
-felt emotionally numb
-had lots of muscle twitching
-felt spaced out
-noticed that my tongue is 'rolling', along with weird movements of my jaw
-had no appetite
-developed insomnia.

I actually question if these tablets are doing any good. I feel a lot worse than i did. My anxiety has decreased however, but i just dont feel like me.

If i stop taking them after 2 weeks will i get any major side effects?

KK77
13-12-09, 17:54
Amitriptyline and fluoxetine can actually be a good combination of meds and I was on this for different reasons to you. All the side effects you're getting are very common for fluoxetine (and a few may be from the amitriptyline, like lethargy).

But the side effects will lessen and if you feel it's helped with your anxiety I would give it more time before you think of giving up.

If you stop cold turkey you may get some unpleasant symptoms, so you would need to see your doctor. But my advice would be to give it more time, esp as it's helping your condition.

BexieB
13-12-09, 17:59
hi craig

going onto any ssri is always hard...your symptoms are quite typical and could go on for a while longer. you really have to stick with them in order to reap the benefits...2 weeks is far to early to bale out. you won't feel like yourself again for a good 6 - 8 weeks. it's only then that you can really judge if they're working for you. i'm 4 and half weeks on seroxat and still feel vile, but will never know if they would have worked if i don't stay the course. i've been on ssri's before and know they really can take a long time to work. some are lucky, and get early benefits but others just have to slog it out. i really hope u feel better soon

love and hugs
bexie

Danath
13-12-09, 18:35
yeah fluoxetine can make you feel a whole lot worse before maknig you feel better, keep going matey, youll get there.

medsec27
15-12-09, 19:30
Hi

I have been on Fluoxetine since August this year and I was in the same predicament as you after about 2 weeks. I was prescribed Valium to take alongside and this helped loads. Four weeks in, the side effects started to decrease and now I just feel totally normal and happy!!! Please stick with them. The first 2-4 weeks are the worst and things should start to improve after that time. Along with some CBT, they have honestly made my life so much better. These few weeks of feeling like this will hopefully soon be a distant memory and you will start to feel a lot better. x

Will75
09-12-15, 07:07
Good on you mate !!!! Today I was pretty close to give up on taking Fluoxetine again. I have been taking it since last week and I am feeling not well at all, but thanks to God I found this chat room very optimistic, so I will keep on my medication until the 20th of this month which is my new appointment with the doctor. I hope to get well soon and be happy again. Thank you for your optimistic comments.:yesyes:

Overbeinganxsty
10-12-15, 10:01
Stick it out another 2weeks then reassess. I have been on fluoxetine twice takes me 3 weeks to start kicking in. Probably would have been easier if you started on 10mg but your nearly there now ��

Will75
12-12-15, 08:57
It's weird some days I feel so good and some day feels like the anxiety wants to come back. Today is my day number 12 taking fluoxetine and another pill calls D5 before bedtime. Well I still not feeling 100% ,but I will keep going. I forgot to tell you mates that I am taking vitamins B6 and B12 to keep my brain going on prescribed by the doctor. May God makes us feel healthier again and forget about this anxiety struggles. :hugs:

MissyMischief
12-12-15, 21:26
It's weird some days I feel so good and some day feels like the anxiety wants to come back. Today is my day number 12 taking fluoxetine and another pill calls D5 before bedtime. Well I still not feeling 100% ,but I will keep going. I forgot to tell you mates that I am taking vitamins B6 and B12 to keep my brain going on prescribed by the doctor. May God makes us feel healthier again and forget about this anxiety struggles. :hugs:

Hi Will75. I am feeling very similar. I have good days and then days where my anxiety still wants to grab a hold of my mind. I think that is normal. I've been on the full dose for 9 days now, although I weaned myself onto 20mg over the last month.

Take care!

Will75
13-12-15, 00:53
I really appreciate your reply. Now I know that I am not alone on the battlefield. I hope you can get well soon as well. My doctor said that is part of the med interactions in our metabolism until all the chemicals can find the right balance. We must be strong together as one to defeat this bad episode. May God bless you. :hugs:

buildmeupbuttercup
14-12-15, 19:35
I'm second time round and on day 14 of taking flux my anxiety is everywhere rasing thoughts also but I know it kicked in for me at about the 4 to 5 week mark so keep going I know it's horrible when your in the thick of it and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel but you will get there good luck with the rest of your journey

Aprilheadaches
11-10-16, 19:54
I'm same now on 12 days fluoxetine and had to stop propanol for my anxiety as made me red hot and freak out so I'm thinking taking g 10mg amtryptyline to ease the anxiety at night I feel like I've been tortured I'd rather have childbirth every day for week than this mental torture,,,,,I have been on and off meds the doc even gave me lorazepam for emergencies would you take that or go with amtryptyline any help appreciated thankyou

Lady Penelope
11-10-16, 21:56
I have been on fluoxetine for five weeks. Almost gave up many times and suffered nausea and worse anxiety symptoms for 4 weeks. Everyone told me to power through and it would get better and I am so glad I did. The last week I have slowly been improving every day. So glad I stuck it out and hope you can too