PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia - Peoples views

PoppyC
14-12-09, 14:38
Hi all
Something really annoyed me this morning at work. I got talking to a work colleague about what I suffer with and she was really interested and we got to talking about agoraphobia and then another woman snottily said 'You can't have agoraphobia if you can come to work'!!! It really annoyed me. I told her that plenty of people work with mental health issues and although a lot can't there are people who suffer with all types and work, and just because they work doesn't mean to say they are not suffering! How dare she belittle what I have been and go through.
I also had to tell her that I need to work in order to pay for the house and bills and all the rest. I can't expect benefits to pay for it. The benefits system is really changing now and I know already through where I work people who were on incap benefit who were taken off it.
I also work with a couple of disabled people and they still work but it doesn't mean they don't have disabilities, so why can't this stupid woman understand that if you work does not mean that you don't have any problems. I didn't have a choice but to work and I am not wealthy enough to not work.
I feel that if someone genuinely cannot work then that I can understand that but I would rather work than being sat at home with no life getting unhappy, but it doesn't mean I don't suffer still on the inside with the problems that I have, and getting to and from work can be a problem....Sorry I am rambling but she really annoyed me!!!
I find it difficult being at work sometimes with how I am feeling but it is helping me and given me back a bit of self esteem but I wish I worked on my own at times!!!! lol

gypsywomen
14-12-09, 14:42
your doing great ,,i understand what your saying some people are so ignorant

peach
14-12-09, 18:12
hi,

i have found that people tend to sympathise easier with people with pysical disabilities because they can see them therefore imagine life with them and be sympathetic, where as because they cant 'see' mental disabilities, they tend not to 'see' therefore dont understand or sympathise....i used to get the whole 'whats wrong with you? and 'just get over it'......

i totally understand you on this one :hugs:

sunshine-lady
14-12-09, 18:15
What an ignorant, insensitive woman. Of course people with mental health issues can have a life and work. Please do not let her ignorance discourage you. I applaud you for what you have (and continue to) achieve. You are doing so well :hugs:

I also have agoraphobia (and mental health illnesses), but unfortunatley I have have been unable to work for more than 12 years. Yes I do get DLA and Incapacity Benefit, however I would give back every penny of it if it meant I could be well enough to work. I have also had people say "you look alright to me" sort of implying that I am swinging the lead!

Please don't let this woman undermind you and keep going, you are an inspiration to others

maybeoneday
14-12-09, 19:35
i have agriphobia too unfortanatley cant get any benefits, mental illness is so overlooked, i too get people who ont understand, they say but you are jolly and happy, you dont look ill,

you can be agriphobia and laugh, i realy wouldnt wish mental health on anyone, i think its one of the worst illnesses about.