PDA

View Full Version : Sick After Fluoxetine

thescene21
14-12-09, 23:18
Hello,
im on my third day of taking Fluoxetine, and the first time i have ever been on this type of medication, which is very daunting. Before i was on the medication i wasnt holding my food down, everytime i ate an hour later i would be sick (not self inflicted) my doc put it down to the stress of what im going through. Since i have been on the medication i have been sick twice, the two times i was sick i had taken the tablet after eating. Is being sick going to affect my medication? And when does the side effects kick in?
cheers

emmziebee
15-12-09, 09:07
hi
I am new here also new to fluoxetine, its day 6 for me and I have also been sick and nauseous and wondering if the tablet will still be in my system, wish I could offer some advise to you, hope you are ok:)

thescene21
15-12-09, 18:41
I am going to my docs tomorrow morning to see why im being sick, and find out if it is staying in the system, will post my findings when i get back. Hope everything is okie with you.

HelenS70
15-12-09, 18:45
I take fluoxetine and the first few weeks were a nightmare, I was off my food, nauseated, my depression worsened and my panic attacks were more frequent that I was prescribed busparine. Now I am on other tablets including fluoxetine and my stomach is more settled. These meds take up to 6 weeks to start working properly, your body needs this time apparently. Seeing your doctor though to settle any worry should harm though, just for your peace of mind :winks:

HelenS70
15-12-09, 18:47
I forgot to add, I take my fluoxetine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach then I have a banana :) eat slowly and try not to concentrate too much on the thought of being sick, hope this helps!

emmziebee
15-12-09, 21:28
:O) will try that

thescene21
16-12-09, 10:14
Just got back from the GP, he said the medication will stay in your system despite being sick. So i hope this helps and you are feeling much better.

Sparkie
28-12-09, 18:43
I have been taking it for 2 months now and have suffered no side effects at all but it seems to do nothing for my anxiety or mood I'm seeing my doc again next month about something stronger I wonder what she will recommend.

I have been taking mine in the morning but with no food since I don't eat breakfast.

How are things going for you guys now?

Sparks.

loucom82
30-12-09, 18:17
I take my pill in the morning followed by a gulp of gaviscon - probably not the best way to take it but it works.

Give the pills time to work, if you see my earlier posts you will see they made me so much worse before better. I am now through a months supply and although I'm not 100% I am a lot better. My stomach was so unsettled I was forcing down complan and slim fast while I held my nose just to make sure I ate something. I lost a stone and a half in the first two weeks, but now am nearly back to eating normally - even snacking on the Christmas chocolates.

They mess you up so much you can't imagine that you will feel any better, but it's worth just taking to your bed (or sofa as I did) for a couple of weeks to give them a chance to work.

Midge112
12-06-18, 21:30
I’m 16 years old and have been fluoxetine tablets for 3 months, my fluoxetine tablets are 40mg

I have had a variety of side effects, the most common one being fatigue.
At the beginning I felt a lot worst but after the first 2 months I began to feel better however my fatigue got worst. I was falling asleep 24/7 which is not so good considering it’s exam season. I used to take them in the morning and I would continuously be tired for the rest of the day being able to sleep whenever and wherever, sometimes even passing out. I’m now being told that I have to take them in the evening before I go to sleep which has been going well for me but just yesterday, 20 minutes after taking it I began to feel really ill and my stomach began to disagree. I began shaking and before I knew it I vomited. I have just taken it again and am now getting that sicky feeling, it may be a coincidence it may not. But I do know for sure that the medication stays in your body.
One of the best things to do is discard the side effects(unless extremely serious) and try not to read up on them, as it may be a case of physiological issues. Your mind choosing to think this (if that makes sense). I hope this helps