PDA

View Full Version : A re-introduction/my current status

wellshivermetimbers
15-12-09, 01:13
Hey there my friends,

It has been a very long time since i dropped on here. I started posting on this forum in March 2006 and over the next 18 months i would frequent the site. But for the last a year or more i haven't really been on. Therefore some of you may remember me and the people who have joined more recently obviously won't. My name is Dave and I am 27 and from the UK (Birmingham to be exact!). I am probably most well known for writing raps on the forum and in the chatroom; raps to do with panic mainly. It sounds like a random thing to do and i suppose it was. I am here now under a new moniker, 'wellshivermetimbers'

A brief explanation as to my panic story. I started getting anxiety/PA's soon after witnessing a friend of the family collapse and start fitting whilst i was on holiday with them in Torremolinos in Spain in Sept 2001. The aforementioned event happened on Sept 6th 2001. The vision of my family friend ill scarred me for a very long time and 9 years on i still suffer with anxiety and PA's. I get them intensely for afew weeks and then i may have afew weeks when i don't feel too bad. I have general anxiety, anticipatory anxiety, hypochondria, social anxiety and obv the PA's. I list my main panic-related fears as fainting, dying, feeling breathless, not being able to escape from any given situation (agoraphobia has resulted from this even though i do go out but not very often). Simple things like standing in a shop queue, sitting in a waiting room etc...those situations promote panic attacks and anxious feelings in me. I don't know how many others on here share these particular feelings abouth the said situations.

I finish this brief reintroduction by sharing one piece of advice which may be of some use to other sufferers out there. Three things actually.

First, music music music....and singing!! if you panic when you are out put your favourite songs on an mp3 player and sing along to them. This helps in two ways really; people who feel breathless with anxiety will understand that if you truly were breathless, you wouldn't be able to speak, let alone sing and so if you can sing your favourite songs lyrics, then you are not really breathless and it is just a mere sensation created by negative thoughts and an overactive imagination..try it guys!!

secondly, self affirmations can help too!! as strange as it sounds at first, look into a mirror and say positive things to yourself re panic and look at your relaxed reflection whilst you say it. Inside your mind may be doing somersaults but say postive affirmations daily (in the morning is the best time but get in the habit of giving yourself them throughout the day and see if they help). Self positive affirmations do help if practiced correctly and used frequently enough

thirdly, pretend your someone else! Before you go out, in your mind adopt the mentality of a confident person in the public eye (a celebrity for instance). Go out and act like that person. People may find this helps them and others may not. Different things work for different people. I pretended to be Robbie Williams once and whereas i still did get occasional panicky feelings, i felt more self confident than i did in the past. This is mainly a mental battle we fight so try changing your level of confidence in this way as something to try.

Be good to yourselves people and keep fighting the good fight!! I panic just like you so you know i can sympathise with you all. I know we al have different stories as to how panic affects us and to what extent but the common word that connects us all is 'panic'.

If anyone could give me any words of wisdom/advice as to how to feel more confident about the whole fainting issue i mentioned before, i would sincerely appreciate it. What can i eat/drink, should not eat/drink etc, what should i practice doing before i leave the house, how should i alter my mindset etc. ANy advice welcomed guys and girls!!

Have a panic free night! God bless you all

Dave
'Wellshivermetimbers'
Birmingham
UK

Bluebelle
15-12-09, 03:27
Hi Dave
Welcome back to NMP- I really enjoyed reading your post ! I hope you have a panic free day / night !
XXX
Love Bluebelle

Ronny
15-12-09, 04:41
Howdy there Dave
I do like your moniker I have Tom Waits singing that song right now I love that song.
Have you tried Yoga? It is helpful for some people,I go but have trouble concentrating,as my mind starts to wander off to who knows where.Also try deep breathing exercises,that is something that does work.I have suffered from Panic and Anxiety for about 12years and have good and bad days. IT's YUK.One thing is You created IT and only You can cure it by cognitive therapy and changing the way live Do try and be positive Diet does play an important part Plenty of fruit and veg Fish fish oil omega 6 and 12.You will be surprised at the changes.It will be gradual.But you will notice a change.Good Luck with it God bless YOU Luv Ronny

PUGLETMUM
15-12-09, 09:57
:Dhello. welcome back - top tips:yesyes:

Veronica H
15-12-09, 11:18
WELCOME BACK DAVE!:bighug1:

Veronica

belle
15-12-09, 12:21
Hellooo :)

suzy-sue
15-12-09, 13:16
Hi and :welcome:Back xxSue :D:hugs:

SmartyPants
15-12-09, 13:40
Welcome back, great advice there Robbie.. I mean Dave!