PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam, how bad is it?

Dazo
15-12-09, 10:49
How bad is diazepam? I mean in addiction way!

I take half a pill at times, this weekend i had to take it both saturday and sunday.
I am scared of it, that i am going to be addicted on them.

Can someone tell me a bit about them, any experiences?

Regards
Daniel

Maj
15-12-09, 11:03
Hi Daniel,

Yes, they are very addictive - but you'd have to be taking them for more than a few weeks, continuously every day, before you would become addicted. The two you have taken are absolutely nothing to worry about. Some gp's prescribe them for a week's course. They are an excellent short term help. Don't worry, you've done yourself no harm.
Myra:hugs:

Logan_Five
15-12-09, 11:08
Daniel - in the amounts that you are taking them (now and then when needed like me), you'll be fine. As Myra said - they can become addictive when you take them everyday for more than a couple of weeks. It's been over a week since I last had one now, and that was half a 5mg tablet. I'm keeping them for emergencies only and my GP is happy enough with that too.

Gillian
15-12-09, 11:25
Hi all, im glad to hear that about diazapam as ive just had to take one and had a huge panic attack as im scared of medication effects, but i havent slept for 2 nights again so my partner just made me take one and i felt like it got stuck in my throat arrrr, mine are only 2mg and im paranoid with that.

EmmaJane
15-12-09, 11:48
I have a repeat perscription for diazapam. Have had for about 4 years. I'm not addicted yet. I find that because I know they are addictive, I'm more conscious of what I am taking, so as not to get addicted. Hope that makes sense. What mg have you been given?

Logan_Five
15-12-09, 12:31
Gillian - 2mg will be fine for you, especially if it helps to take the edge off the anxiety. If you aren't sleeping, head back to the GP's and they may prescribe a short course of Temazepam which will help you to get back into a sleep routine. I have them too, and only take them as and when needed (rarely in recent weeks) Like Diazepam, they can become addictive if taken for more than a couple of weeks.

Dazo
15-12-09, 14:22
Thanks to everyone helping me out here.

The doctor told me to take diazepam for 2 weeks to help me relax.
I have had rough and really bad anxiety now and have a hard time to calm down, fear is terrorising me at the moment.

So for 2 weeks on low dose might not be that dangerous?

Thanks Daniel

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 14:52
do you feel more relaxed now

Dazo
15-12-09, 15:02
do you feel more relaxed now

Thanks for asking gypsywoman.

I havnt taken any yet today, i am at work and i feel really stressed up.
My problem is that when i get to high anxiety i get scared taking them.

Anyway i will take it tonight when i get back home, i cant take another slepless night.

I seriously need to consider cipralex wich my GP prescribed some months ago to me. It seems like anxiety never leaves me.:weep:

sarah jayne
15-12-09, 15:29
How long does it take for diazepam to work ? I took my 1st one over an hour ago and i dont feel any different ?

Dazo
15-12-09, 16:21
How long does it take for diazepam to work ? I took my 1st one over an hour ago and i dont feel any different ?

I have no idea, i feel the same as you sometimes. That makes me even more scared, that is is some illness instead of anxiety or that my anxiety is so bad that it cant be helped.
I hope we get some answears soon from someone who knows more.

Hope you feel better soon!

Daniel

Maj
15-12-09, 16:48
It should take about 20 minutes to start being effective, but it takes the edge off your anxiety, it shouldn't make you feel doped up. I've only ever taken a few but they are 2 mgs, and sometimes I split these in half, but I still think they do help.
Myra x

Logan_Five
15-12-09, 20:05
Apparently it takes 20-30mins for the effect to kick in. A dose of 2mg will take the edge off the anxiety (hopefully) whereas a 5mg dose can make you tired/drowsy. If you get that way after taking one, don't do any driving! :D

decca
16-12-09, 13:46
I have a heart condition and Diazepam is one of the myriad of drugs I have to take,I've been taking them for about 2 years now without any problems.
I have been in various Hospitals across the UK for heart treatment and have voiced my concern about the addictiveness of Diazepam and have been told by numerous Doctors that it is not addictive at up to 8mg per day.

Best wishes.
Decca.

nanny
16-12-09, 14:13
These meds are very very addictive, i have been addicted to them for the last 12 years, they ruin your life in my opinion.
Because i have been on them so long they no longer help me but i can't just leave them off as this is dangerous to do.

On saying that, they are ok in the SHORT term.............

sarah jayne
16-12-09, 15:14
Im on my second day of taking them and all they have done is make me feel tired !

Dazo
16-12-09, 15:50
They make me a bit tired too, but seems to take the worst panic and fear off. But it doesnt seem to help always.

I see that some writes that they can be very addictiv which i really worry about, i have had a bad experience from withdrawal from zoloft once.

Lets say i have to take diazepam for 2-3 weeks straight, would that be dangerous?

I really appreciate all help here.

Daniel

Logan_Five
16-12-09, 21:08
It 'could' be, Daniel. It would depend on how many you were taking each day, and what strength of tablet. It's something that is best discussed with your GP.

Dazo
16-12-09, 23:40
I take 2,5 mg but if its too bad i take 5 mg.

Thanks for the help Logan Five.

decca
18-12-09, 00:12
If all you take is 2.5 to 5mg per day, don't worry about it, All my doctors have told me that Diazepam is not addictive up to 8 mg per day.
I was the same as you when I was first diagnosed with heart disease my anxiety and tension was through the ceiling,see my posting history,I used to be a regular contributer on here but I no longer need to be.
Diazepam really turned me around and I'm thankful for it.
Hope you feel better soon.
Decca.

carlos678
25-12-09, 02:36
Diazepam is not necessarily addictive; it possess certain qualities which can make it addictive for some. However when taken for long periods it is very likely to cause dependence, and on cessation, withdrawals. Although many see addiction and dependence as the same (or get them confused) i see a clear distinction between the two. For those who care to read this is echoed in the link at the end of the post.

Whether it remains effective in the long term is anyones guess. Some people stay on the same dose for years without problems; others have to increase the dose repeatably, until the inevitable happens and their forced to stop.

Definitely not a drug to be taken lightly and the risks / horror stories you hear are very real. However some people (such as myself) that have extremely severe, crippling anxiety need the drug to function. Saves some, destroys others.

I created a thread about this many moons ago; heres one of the sources i included which adheres to my view point.

http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/Libraries/Res_Messenger/M129-Warneke_letter_to_editor.pdf

BabyRachel
25-12-09, 08:27
I really suggest you talk to your doctor about cipralex, ive been taking it for three months its fantastic...

Dazo
25-12-09, 15:50
I have heard alot of good things about Lexapro but i have this problem with phobia for taking medication every day.
I will talk to my GP in 2 weeks about this.

About Diazepam, now havnt taken any in 2 days but before that 2,5 mg for 3 days straight.
Lets say i dont have to talk it for a week or two now and then 3 days straight again on low dose.
That cant be too bad could it?

Thanks to all of you helping me out here!

Daniel

june
25-12-09, 16:03
:hugs:Like you i have a fear of meds.
'things' got out of my control and i have been prescribed diazipam.
2mg 3xday
NO WAY!!!!!!! half a tablet 2xday first day ((equals 1 whole tablet a day))- now i take half a tablet (= 1mg)at 10 am and that is it:ohmy:
__ in serious cases of anxiety the dose can be 10mg 4xday for 6 weeks:blush:so Dazo - you and i are hardly likely to be addicted:yesyes: just nicely calmed :yesyes:
I still have the occasional 'rush of adrenalin' and get a bit of a fright but i am trying day by day.
Try, maybe the smallest dose every day so that stress does not build up???
AS we all tell each other ""talk it over woth your doc""
Best wishes
June
:hugs: