PDA

View Full Version : Hello and can I help out?

Kilasuk
15-12-09, 13:10
Hi All,

Just found this site and I hope I can share some of my experiences of anxiety and how I have come to manage them. And, I hope in doing so I might be able to pass of a few bits of knowledge.

Lets just say that in a way I'm very thankful to have had so much fear that it left me paralysed in every aspect of my life. I have grown to see it as a barometer to my mental well being. And, taking a few words from Churchill , I am who I am now thanks to the sum total of my experiences. I guess I would like to help a few people out as well. I know its tough, but I think there is a reason that fear exists....after all, without it how do you know when you may take a wrong turn, and how will you feel when you know that it no longer takes over your life.

It all started for me when I was at Boarding school. I went when I was 10 and I never really knew what fear was until I went there. In the first year I missed home badly, even know I choose Boarding School to get away from being at home (escaping a very dysfunctional family). However, I soon realised that your fellow man would not be there to help, and teachers ...well...if your face fit you seemed to get a lot of support and attention...but my face never seemed to fit. I spent the next 8 years, really becoming reclusive. Feeling very uncomfortable about me and my life, and grew up very shy. While everyone around me seemed to be booming in confidence, I became more and more introvert and depressed. Eventually, at the age of 16, I suffered my first anxiety attack (which appeared as immense fear, shaking, sweating, embarrassment, blank mind). I thought "Great, this is just the icing on the cake I need" . After all that I have been through , my mind and body choose to completely send me on a downward spiral of depression. This to me meant that every time I was in a situation where there was some kind of social contact (Interview, friends, Getting my hair cut, going to the doctor, signing my name on a cheque or debit card slip , walking around a shop) You name it, if I was in public, I was a gibbering wreck. I somehow managed to get to university, and having to take part in group exercises and presentations....well that just made me run away. First time I started shaking like a mad man in front of my class was hell, I never showed up to university again and became even more alone and kept myself away from people in general. Yes, I did turn to drugs, which did not help. And I did turn to God, which also did not help.

I think for me it was also the shear embarrassment that I felt and acted weak. I would say go to get my hair cut, absolutely terrified that I would start shaking and mumbling....and the fear was even worse because I was embarrassed that I felt so weak and did not want to let on....so I would fight it....and it would get worse.

Eventually I went to see a doctor, and he gave me legal drugs this time....which also did not help. In fact all my doctor did was prescribe drug after drug after drug.

I knew I needed help, I knew I needed some kind of therapy. And I never found it. So I started my own path, and after a few years I managed to slowly but surely build myself up. I have really enjoyed the journey, yes that’s right, looking back I really enjoyed learning about myself, people and how to think right.

Where am I today....well I’m 99% great. The 1% is still that last little bit of Ego holding on that pops up every so often. That old friend that makes sure you are on the right path.

I'm in a good job, no problems shopping and getting my hair cut, I’m in a high paced Business Development role that involves and lot of UK and World Wide travel, meeting lots of people and doing presentations in front of 000's of people. And, I feel stronger because I knew what it took to get me here. I'm also thankful for fear. For without it and would not have learned the lessons that I needed to learn to get me here today, and being confident enough to pass on those lessons.

Do I still get a little nervous from time to time? Yes. But, its no longer that fear that completely cripples me. Its just a positive fear that lets me know I'm doing something new....and I can handle it.

So why am I here. Simply to pass it on. I hope to learn from people here, and also to be the person I wished I had with me at the age of 16 to say those few words that would have made all the difference.

Feel free to reply to this and lets start the process.

Just remember as well, Panic won't kill you, it may be a tough at the start but it does get a lot better. Its just your own sub concious mind letting you know that your thoughts...and maybe actions and life style are not in tune with what you want from your own life. But, just remember, you are in a process and panic / anxiety can be seen as the trigger of that process. You already have the answer, you just need to re-learn what that is. So, don't worry. All IS well . And , you can over come fear.

diane07
15-12-09, 13:12
Hi Kilasuk

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

becca
15-12-09, 13:14
its kinda nice knowing thee is someone out there who may slightly understand what im going through im only 15 and just cant deal with anything at all i am always worrying about something something that a normal teenager may never think about :blush:

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 13:19
what a great post ,,i am sure many on here, will find it so, i am pleased you learnt to overcome it ,at the moment i am going through this process without drugs apart from propranolol 1 a day 0mg and 2 sleeping tablets at night

sarah jayne
15-12-09, 14:52
Im really pleased that you have got through the dreaded anxiety. i hope one day i can be the same x

eva12
15-12-09, 16:07
What a brilliant post!
I have hope now...and i'm sure others who read will feel the same!
Thanks for sharing!And welcome to NMP!

Kilasuk
17-12-09, 10:01
To Becca,

Your are about the same age as I was when I first started suffering. What you have to understand is that it is your mind that controls everything. However, if along the way you have picked up negative thinking from other people around you, then you mind will be stuck in that negative cycle.

I also was a little....er...too deep for my age. Always worried about the world. Always thought too much. I have learned over the years that you only see and experience what you think, its that whole tunign fork principle where when you are in your most negative state, you seem to attract more negative things into your life.

I do totally understand by the way. The good thing is, you are 15, and you are here.

So with you, what things do you always worry about? Is it how people think of you? Having to do things (class ect)? Interacting with people? The state of the world in general? Do you have trouble with people at school? Is there anyone who you think might be making you feel low about yourself?

Cheers,

Kilasuk

Kilasuk
17-12-09, 10:08
Hi Gypsy Woman.

Well, tell me about it. How does anxiety and fear appear in you and what do you think may have caused that? What do you think about yourself as well? Good question I ask people is , if you were to meet yourself (Like your exact clone) what would you think about yourself how would you judge yourself?

If you feel comfortable entering into a dialogue with me then I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Kilas

Kilasuk
17-12-09, 10:11
You can probably sooner than you think. Getting through negative thoughts is a little like Zen Bhudism , you have to realise that fear is an illusion. You have to get to the point where you know that you never had it in the first place.

Feel free to talk to me. Let me know how fear appears with you and what you think may have caused it.