PDA

View Full Version : Elastic band for panic

JaneC
15-12-09, 16:02
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I've just finished a novel in which one of the main characters suffers from PAs and wears an elastic band on his wrist which he "pings" to try to stop an attack when he feels one coming on.

Was wondering if anyone has tried this and found it effective? :huh:

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 16:18
no but migt give it a try you never know

Ruby13
15-12-09, 16:40
Anything is worth a try.... keep us posted if it works.

nervy-paul
15-12-09, 16:41
Sounds like a good idea, likely works as a distraction for the brain, giving it something else to think about other than feeling anxious/panicy. Worth a try anyway!!

KK77
15-12-09, 17:07
If you associate pinging the band with feelings of calm and confidence I'm sure it would work. But the association between the action and thought must be strong. It's a hypnotherapy technique. I would give it a go!

ElizabethJane
15-12-09, 18:14
I thought this was also a distraction technique to stop self harming? Not sure if it would work for me. Almost sure that it wouldn't. I would 'ping' then the panic would soar over the top. I would left with a sore wrist!

den68
15-12-09, 19:47
i have never done it but a friend of my mum swears by it. She says when she starts with that feeling she pulls it has hard as she can and it sort of shocks her out of it. Worth a try i guess

JaneC
15-12-09, 21:51
Thanks all - I struggle with motorway driving and will have to do some over Christmas/New Year so I'll prob give it a go then.

I'd still like to hear from anybody who's used it and found it to work :yesyes:

nomorepanic
15-12-09, 22:51
I used it ages ago

The pain of the band pinging om the wrist is supposed to take your mind off the panic etc so it is distraction technique.

wellshivermetimbers
16-12-09, 00:26
Putting aside that doing this long enough causes small red welts on your hand, this is an effective method, tried and tested by myself over the years. It is basically a distraction technique. When one panics, one gets consumed by a tirade of negative thoughts and you need to do something to interfere with these negative thoughts and so applying a slight (don't ping the band too hard) ping redirects the thought process, introduces physical discomfort felt via pinging the band on your hand/wrist etc, which makes you naturally forget about any panicky feelings. Think of a negative thought process as a train track in your mind. The ping of the elastic band is like the switch on the track which causes the train track to move, derailing the panic feelings.

A small occasional pinch of the skin also has the same affect. I reiterate again guys, don't go hurting yourself. The confusion some people have with this is assuming you need to cause yourself a great deal of discomfort to stop or slow down your panicky feelings. A slight ping, enough so you can feel it, is enough!!

Hope this method helps you all somewhat!

God Bless You All

Dave
wellshivermetimbers
UK

maddie
16-12-09, 00:51
Hi. This does work. It is a grounding technique that helps distract from the panic. Just as effective (and probably safer when driving!) is to press your thumb and middle finger together hard then release. You can feel the muscles all the way up your arm react, again distracting you from the panic.
An nmp wristband would work well too!
Good luck.

JaneC
16-12-09, 11:34
Thanks v much Dave and Maddie - and I've ordered a couple of wristbands :hugs:

PanicOver!!
16-12-09, 11:54
It worked for me as a distraction .. not every time to be honest
but it did work xx

JaneC
16-12-09, 12:10
Thanks Marc,

I've not driven any distance since I went back on Prozac so I'm hoping that in itself will make a difference but a little extra insurance can't hurt (although that seems to be the whole point lol)

messianictalmud
16-12-09, 20:41
Makes sense to me!

Annabelle
22-12-09, 14:36
I dont use the elastic band but when i feel anxiety rising or my head starting to swim i pinch my hand or dig my nails into my palm - seems to focus my mind and reminds me to put into practise my relaxing techniques. Like if im freaking out i pinch myself and in remnds me to drop my shoulders take a few slow abdominal breaths and focus.

hurts - but worth it!

anna xx