PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and IBS getting me down

unspoken
15-12-09, 16:14
Hi everyone,

I'm a 21 year old female. I'm not sure how long I've suffered with anxiety for, a long time I think and it's got worse over time. I graduated from university in July. 2 and a half years ago, at the end of my 1st year at uni, I had a minor stomach bug which somehow left me with IBS. I've had to cut out a lot of foods that trigger IBS and in January of this year I was also diagnosed with gastro-oesophagul acid reflux, which had been causing me panic because I didn't know why I was feeling sick and like I was unable to swallow.

I think anxiety has been with me for a long time. I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at the age of 9. I was bullied in primary school and the first 2 years of secondary school, until I went to boarding school at 13 where things got a bit better and I made some proper friends. I struggled with organisation in particular, always forgetting things. I also struggled to coordinate things and was slower or unable to do things that other people my age managed with ease. I think this fuelled feelings of anxiety as I have always had to concentrate so much harder to do some things that other people find so easy. I've suffered with insomnia for as long as I can remember, it's like my brain won't stop and my thoughts are racing.

This year, 2009, has been a particularly bad year for me in terms of panic. Nevertheless, I somehow got through uni, with support from the counselling service and my GP. I managed to get a work placement when I graduated, but struggled with the stress and energy needed to work full time and commute. I wanted some time off when that finished but was offered another work placement. Due to parental pressure, I took it on. Last week I had to resign because I couldn't cope. The anxiety got so bad all I felt able to do was cry. I've been put on diazepam, beta blockers and anti-depressants this year but none of them have had any beneficial effect on the anxiety.

So I'm now unable to work because I'm too anxious and I feel like the doctors can't help either, they just prescribe more medicines which have nasty side effects on my IBS. My parents don't understand the problems at all and want me to go out and get a proper job. I feel like I've failed and I don't really know where to turn so I guess it's about time I joined a forum like this, as it looks like a good place to find understanding people.

diane07
15-12-09, 16:17
Hi unspoken

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 16:17
well your in the right place ,, you have done well to say you suffer with this ,,never give up never give n be strong you can do it after all you have been through x

BabyRachel
16-12-09, 10:16
Hi welcome to NMP.

I have just finished studying and I also suffer from anxiety, IBS and related depression... I know how very hard it can be, especially with pressure parents have put on top...

If you would ever like to chat to someone, there are plenty of people in the forums and in the chat room, but you can also feel free to PM me anytime.

xxxx