PDA

View Full Version : Please can someone advise =blood in phlegm

Ddcoo
15-12-09, 16:36
I'm doing a bit of mild panicking here. This morning I went to the doctors as I have had a barking cough for over a week and was up all night last night just coughing a fetching up phlegm (sorry to be graphic). Doctor has prescribed Amoxicillin antibiotics as I have a sinus and chest infection. I'm glad I went and I was feeling as though I had done something definite, then this afternoon, every time I cough, some blood streaks are showing in the phlegm, can any tell me if this is to be expected, or do I need to go back to the doctors? I will feel such a fool if I panic and go back only to be told its OK. I am pretty sure that this happened 4 yrs ago last time I had a chest infection. Thanks to anyone who can put my mind at rest.

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 16:42
yes its common when you have infection its not from your chest ,,its your throat with coughing its irritated the membranes so no need to worry

Ddcoo
15-12-09, 16:50
Thank you so much gypsywoman for your very prompt reply, I really do appreciate it and will now be able to settle down mentally . Thank goodness for this site and people like yourself, it is such a comfort to have someone who understands.

claire m
15-12-09, 16:53
im just recovering from the same thing and was bringing up blood speckled phlegm in the morning like you it did make me panic a bit. i told the doc and he said not to be concerned as it was likely from my sinuses or my throat from coughing.

gypsywomen
15-12-09, 17:00
good glad i could help i was a nurse15 years so dont worry ou will be fine

Ddcoo
16-12-09, 09:26
Thank you gypsywoman and Claire for you replies, it certainly did put my mind at rest and the force I have been coughing, it is a wonder I haven't had a hernia but glad to say I had a better night's sleep last night as I didn't get any the night before with coughing, so just a matter of time now till the antibiotics take effect. Again, I am so thankful for your prompt replies and I hope Claire that you are better now. Have a good Christmas both of you.