PDA

View Full Version : My Mothers Praline Candy As Made By My Wife and Recipe

looking4answers
16-12-09, 05:10
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz151/michaelrosetti/Mobile%20Uploads/1210091235b0001.jpg

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz151/michaelrosetti/Mobile%20Uploads/1210091235a.jpg

History of Pralines

The Praline is known in the U.S. as a delicious Creole confection consisting of pecans, sugar, butter, and cream. However, this candy originated in 17th century France and were first made with almonds. Pralines are rumored to be created by a cook at Marshal du Plessis-Praslin's Château of Vaux-le Vicomte and named after Praslin, who became a sugar industrialist.
When pralines were first made in New Orleans, the city most often associated with the candy, the recipe changed. The nuts used in the recipe became pecans because pecans were most readily available. The praline is typically a holiday tradition in the Southern States, often given as a gift to celebrate seasonal holidays like Christmas.
With the onset of corporate gift giving, the praline became a popular choice for southern companies because they are always a big hit. This gourmet candy has also been morphed into other gourmet products such as praline toppings, praline sauce, and chocolate pralines.

3 cups sugar
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3 Tbs. light Karo syrup
Dash salt
After cooking add:
1/2 block butter
1 tsp. vanilla
16 oz. bag of pecans
Cook to soft ball stage. Remove from fire. Add butter, vanilla,
and pecans. Stir until thickened. Drop by spoonful onto greased
waxed paper or non-stick aluminum foil. If mixture thickens
too quickly before all has been spooned out, add very small
amounts of evaporated milk to the mixture and stir thoroughly
before continuing to spoon out mixture.

My wife has been making these and made many .They taste just like my mother’s and that is a severe compliment to her. Nobody has almost never duplicated my mothers French recipe from the original family cookbook from the 17th century original ..

claire m
16-12-09, 15:42
mmm they look delicious i think i will definatley be trying them over christmas.

gypsywomen
16-12-09, 15:59
mummmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmmmm i am going to try this thank you for sharing

sarah jayne
16-12-09, 16:53
They look lovely ! Im a crap cook but i'll definately give it a try lol x

looking4answers
16-12-09, 19:40
Heheehehe im glad you guys liked it..you will love themmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!! but I forgot to put BROWN sugar.. makes a difference.. There is a place I think called praline.com or pralines.com that I got the history off of.I think they talk about using a thermometer for judging if the candy is ready.. Check it out. Thanks everyone..Michael