PDA

View Full Version : To the people with agoraphobia, a few questions..

MissJennayee
16-12-09, 05:59
does the thought of actually leaving the house make you feel uncomfortable? I've been suffering with agoraphobia for a good few years as well as extreme health anxiety and lately just the initial THOUGHT of going to a department store, etc. makes me so anxious I can't stand it. It's awful.
Also, do any of you have any coping mechanisms on dealing with leaving?
I had been doing pretty good for awhile, I even managed to get out and go shopping with my boyfriend but I had a little meltdown in Walmart because I thought I was going to pass out all of a sudden which is my WORST fear and now I'm like totally stuck.

looking4answers
16-12-09, 06:04
I understand exactly how you feel..I have had bouts of this to deal with here and there.

There have been times that im so used to being home the shear thought of going to town makes me anxious but once I get going most of the time im ok.. My wife pushes me and refuses to let me be agoraphobic .. if not for her I would surely be here stuck and feeling even worse than I do sometimes.. I just thought that I would let you know you sure aren't alone with the way you feel. I want even go to a walmart..The store is so huge to start with and you feel lost. I stick to stores that are smaller maybe not as good of a deal but there are always great deals online lol.. so walmart can get other customers to walk and walk and walk.. Anyway take care and hope you feel better soon.. Michael

paradox
16-12-09, 23:14
I agree. I think walks are a great place to start. Big stores are very intimidating to those with anxiety problems. I find queues a nightmare. So I have to have someone stand in queues for me. Silly I know. But a walk in the country is much more managable. Not too many people either.

juleswill
16-12-09, 23:59
When I first had panic attacks I found shops would calm me down as I love shopping! The panic attacks then turned into a general anxiety where I would feel ill at the thought of leaving the house and stay in for weeks at a time. It seemed that week by week I would tick off another thing that I could no longer do which was a total shock as I used to be so daring in life. I'm waiting for CBT and have a general idea of the 'small steps' process they get you to work at so have started forcing myself out of the house. Just taking my son to school locally is now just about ok but often uncomfortable and yesterday I amazed myself by driving to Waitrose (where I had a big panic attack a month ago).
I find singing whilst driving helps and humming my way around shops (probably looks weird but to be honest I'm past caring), just anything to distract yourself from the anxiety. Also, and I don't know if this is just me but I must have a supply of water & extra strong mints when I go out as it really seems to help with the first signs of panic.

julia
17-12-09, 10:13
oh my goodness i use extra strong mints i can go out but panic at the thought of theatres,school plays etc taking daughter to see miley cyrus on tuesday have spent months feeling anxious about it ,feel awful just thinking about it and when the crowd goes into frenzy or claps and cheers my heart jumps out of its skin