PDA

View Full Version : Belching/wind in chest/breathing

agent orange
16-12-09, 10:18
Can wind (gas) in chest feel like a heart problem? I belch wind almost all the day, I have had this for several years as I have IBS, but recently it is causing me discomfort in my chest area and I keep feeling that I'm having heart problems. The pain is in my sternum and across both sides, I do cough with this and feel a bit wheezy. I did have a ECG because I had a flutter and a supposed panic attack, it all came back fine, but because I have a Somatoform disorder/health anxiety I am being rather obssesed about it. I also am finding it difficult to breathe as well and feel light headed, but I don't know if it is my somatoform or something else. My blood pressure was normal when the doctor took it and he said I was probably not breathing correctly. I am worried and therefore do not know if to just believe the Doctor (he is a great doctor) or to go to see him again. Can you not breath correctly for a lot of the day? and can all this be related? Any info please and sorry to be a pain as I have posted this before, Thanks..
P.s I am not overtly anxious or panicky.

Ddcoo
16-12-09, 10:48
Hi agentorange, I do think that the pain can be related to wind. I have regular twinges of pain in the sternum and radiating into my back and had thought that it could be heart problems as I get hundreds of ectopics, but I find if I can burp then the discomfort eases and in fact the ectopics will drastically reduce. I have to also check for tensions in my chest and shoulder areas, and am aware that I often catch myself breathing very shallowly and I do try to be aware of my breathing. I also find that when I have eaten, the twinges of pain are more obvious for a while, which again makes me think it is wind caused by stress. Hope this helps.

poppy1
16-12-09, 11:17
I have awful anxiety and burp all day long because im taking in too much air. This can make u feel like you got a mild case of indigestion too.
I also have chest pains. Are yours on the bone across the sternum? Mine are in the centre and at the 'junctions' where the ribs join.

agent orange
16-12-09, 11:35
mine are into my where my breast plate is and across. Ty for your replies. I get heartburn and acid but not necessarily with it all the time. My chest feels tight too.

agent orange
16-12-09, 18:22
I am going again to the doctor, I feel so ashamed to go again, especially as he said I probably was not breathing correctly and my wife says there is nothing wrong with my heart. I feel like I'm really ill and no one sees it and they are fobbing me off (lol).

Jimpy
16-12-09, 18:38
Hi, Every since my first panic attack and subsequent higher anxiety state I get wind in my chest all the time, it's like a bubble of pressure but when I burp ( if I can) the pressure goes. I went to A&E with chest pain and they assured me all was well and sent me home! I am sure that you will be ok!! Sometimes the pressure in my chest is quite intense and makes me nervous but inside I know it is my anxiety and try and relax.

Jim

EmmaJane
16-12-09, 18:41
Im sure your doctor would prefer you to go back, than for you to sit at home worrying. Breathing incorrectly can cause weird symptoms. Good Luck.

gman
17-12-09, 09:54
I have awful anxiety and burp all day long because im taking in too much air. This can make u feel like you got a mild case of indigestion too.
I also have chest pains. Are yours on the bone across the sternum? Mine are in the centre and at the 'junctions' where the ribs join.

I have alot of chest pains and particularily like you mention in the centre where the ribs join. The ribs are attached to the sternum with cartiledge. The doctor diagnosed me with costchondritis. It's an inflamation of the cartiledge and can be very painful at times. Often on a night my chest feels very tender to touch. It's when I get the more deeper chest pains I worry.

Sometimes Ibuprofen helps but I also apply heat to it which always helps.

agent orange
17-12-09, 16:40
Thankyou again for your replies. I actually went into the walk in centre in the city and was checked out again, because I had what I presume was another anxiety attack ? I fely funny in the head, my chest felt tight (it still does). The nurse took my bp and it was 125/80 which is fine, but I took my heart pulse and it was at one stage 114 per minute. I asked her if I could still suffer from anxiety and my bp still be normal and she said yes... I am so confused, she even said that I can feel like this for as long as my anxiety is up, (it's like a living hell). She was convinced that I did not have a heart problem and that it was anxiety, but to put my mind at rest I should get checked out for high cholestral and statins? I am not a heavy person, but I know that cholestral (high) does mean you have to be heavy. I am worried, but if they thought I had a problem with my heart then I'm sure they would look into it.