PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam doesnt seem to be working, has it worked for anyone else ?

sarah jayne
16-12-09, 15:38
I was prescribed diazepam yesterday and all it seems to be doing is making me more tired. The doctor said it would make me less anxious and also help with my pain but i dont think its doing either, its just making me want to go to bed ! Has it worked for anyone else ?

gypsywomen
16-12-09, 15:46
yes it works it might take a day to get into your system so you will feel tired as they relax your nerves you will be fine love

sarah jayne
16-12-09, 15:50
Thanks xxx

KK77
16-12-09, 15:56
It acts as a muscle-relaxant too so it's bound to make you a bit tired till you get used to it. It's very effective for anxiety and shouldn't take long to work. You haven't had much luck with meds so I hope it helps.

unspoken
16-12-09, 15:56
I was put on Diazepam, 2mg 3 times a day, back in February when I was very anxious and struggling to sleep at all and had IBS pain. I was also trying to get a lot of uni work done and write my dissertation. After about 24 hours the Diazepam made me feel spaced out and like I was trying to walk and think through a thick layer of something, it took a lot of effort to move and think. It didn't help me sleep, but it did make the physical pain less and it made it harder for the anxious thoughts to get through. I didn't worry so much but I couldn't think properly either.

I'd say about Diazepam, it's great for a short term break from acute pain and anxiety, but it only numbs things temporarily. If you've only been on it 24 hours, give it more time and it will have an effect. If you're trying to keep up a job/study/be very active mentally and physically, you might struggle to get through the day whilst taking it, but if you're less busy I think it could be quite helpful to take the edge off the anxiety and pain.

Ella_Jayne
16-12-09, 18:06
I'm on 2mg of Diazepam, and I don't find it helps much to be honest.
Today I took it before I went out shopping, hoping that it would relax me a little so that my anxiety didn't take over and all it did was make me feel spaced out, with anxiety still present.

Cell block H fan
16-12-09, 18:52
Only the 10mg worked for me. They gave me some 5mg ones & they did nothing.
Have they prescribed them long term? If so be careful, they are highly addictive. Should only take them for about 5 days on the trot my doctor said or you will suffer withdrawels when you stop them. Thats why he would only ever give me about 10 tablets at a time, I was given them for severe pmt. So only needed them for 3 or 4 days a month at most anyway. The 10mg worked within about half an hour for me. x

Dan1
16-12-09, 19:42
I take 4mg diazepam occasionally for social anxiety, and I have to say I haven't found it particularly useful either. I would ask the doctor if I could have a larger dose, but I think she'd say no - she was quite reluctant to prescribe it in the first place.

ElizabethJane
16-12-09, 20:06
I have some very low dose diazepan originally prescribed to help me come off mirtazapine. I would only use in an extreme situation that I couldn't get out of like getting stuck in a lift/tube train. It just takes the edge off for me before the hysteria sets in. I think that I have taken two this whole year.

paradox
16-12-09, 23:55
I think meds are different for each individual. What works for one may not suit another.

Personally, diazepam worked more like a sedative for me. But it didn't take away the anxiety. If that makes sense.

Whereas Lorazepam completely annihalates my anxiety but doesn't make me sleepy. But I know for some it knocks them out completely, which is not ideal.

It really is trial and error with meds I'm afraid.

sarah jayne
17-12-09, 10:30
Thanks everyone for your replies ! Its my 3rd day on them today and i still dont think they are working with my anxiety but i have been sleeping alot better. Since i started taking them my headache is alot worse, in fact im not sure whether to take any more because im in so much pain. Im wondering if im getting a headche because im also on amitriptiline ? Im only on a low dose though as i take it for pain relief, not depression. Im back at the doctors in the morning so i'll see what he says. i feel like guine pig because im always trying different medications ! x

Typer
17-12-09, 13:56
1mg of Lorazepam = 10mg diazepam, so maybe that is why it seems to work sor well with anxiety.

Some people do feel calmer on diazepam. Health food shops have a lot of good products that yes, make take longer tom work but can help a lot

Cell block H fan
17-12-09, 19:05
Thanks everyone for your replies ! Its my 3rd day on them today and i still dont think they are working with my anxiety but i have been sleeping alot better. Since i started taking them my headache is alot worse, in fact im not sure whether to take any more because im in so much pain. Im wondering if im getting a headche because im also on amitriptiline ? Im only on a low dose though as i take it for pain relief, not depression. Im back at the doctors in the morning so i'll see what he says. i feel like guine pig because im always trying different medications ! x

How long are you supposed to be on the Diazapam for? Its not a long term drug. If he's given you it for long term, be very careful. My doctor told me its not something you should take for more than 5 days straight. Its an anxiety drug, not an antidepressant, so 10mg would be good for one day for instance, but a small dosage for long term would be as much use as a chocolate saucepan I would imagine. I know that antidepressants are varied & not everyone suits the same one, so it can seem like a bit of a trial & error thing getting the right one. I know someone thats tried them all & recently been put on serotax? Cant remember how its spelt. And after many many different ones, this looks like being the one for them.
x

sarah jayne
17-12-09, 20:21
Im not sure how long ive got to take them. He only prescribed 20 tablets. Ive tried loads of different meds and none seem to work but i'll keep on trying them til i find one that makes me better x