PDA

View Full Version : I can't stop yawning?

petmad
16-12-09, 17:54
Hi all
does anyone suffer with yawning? OK I yawn when I am tired but then also when I am talking to people face to face and on the phone and its really embarrassing.
I can understand it when I am feeling tired, which is quite often I agree but why do I talk to somebody then get this overwhelming urge to yawn?
Any help would be great, how do I stop, is there something wrong with me? People ask am I keeping them up and I hate it!

x

Downsinthenorth
16-12-09, 19:55
Just wondering if you are shallow breathing - it's something that anxious people are particularly prone to. When you start to yawn, try breathing slowly and from below your belly-button so that your belly moves in and out.
:)

starlight78
16-12-09, 20:39
Are you on any medication? I noticed that i started to yawn uncontrolably when i started on Citalopram and it is one of the side effects x

petmad
16-12-09, 21:17
Yes I am on citalopram, the doc said when I first started taking it, that it would go as its one of the side affects but that was months ago, I have been on it for over a year now. I just feel so uncomfortable yawning all the time! Just thinking about yawning makes me yawn!

ZoJo
16-12-09, 21:18
Hi Petmad,

My husband yawns when he is nervous or anxious. Before meetings, when I went into labour and mainly in situations that he is unfamiliar with. :)

HelenS70
16-12-09, 21:33
I yawn all the time too, luckily I am housebound and nobody sees me yawn but when I am on the phone it is a bit embarrassing admitting to yawning, I just say I have been on nightshifts (sometimes this is true) other times I just blame my meds. Yawn away... :yesyes: it is contagious :winks:

Anxious_gal
16-12-09, 22:57
do you know when this started?
see people yawn when there are tired because your breathing slows down so your body yawn to get some more oxygen.

unspoken
17-12-09, 00:15
About a month ago, when the anxiety and depression suddenly took a dive and got a lot worse, I found for a few days I just couldn't stop yawning. I think it must be to do with not breathing properly.

I couldn't stop yawning in a meeting at work and afterwards, one of my colleagues told me off for it, really abruptly and sharply. I felt that knocked my confidence, since I was doing a paid work experience placement so not really a proper employee. Then after that I found I was crying all the time without really knowing why. I don't understand why people automatically assume yawning is an expression of boredom and get offended.