PDA

View Full Version : Bad experince before, new try?

Dazo
16-12-09, 22:36
So, i have had really bad anxiety/fear lately.
Its overwelming now and i have a hard time handling it and it interfere my life to much now.

I took zoloft 3 years ago and had it for about 1,5 year. I never felt really ok and had alot of side effects.
I really felt like s*** when i stopped taking them and that made me scared of ssri.

Now i have been prescribed citalopram and i have hard time giving myself some positive thoughts about this cause of my last experience.

Has anyone here had a bad reaction to one drug and then got great result with another?

I am grateful for some inputs on this, i have to be able to get peace in my mind and body and diazepam seems like a bad option.

Daniel

KK77
16-12-09, 23:35
Although all the SSRIs work in the same way, they have different chemical structures and therefore have slightly different side effects. People also seem to react differently to them. There are loads of people who tried one SSRI and had a bad experience but had a great result with another.

The only AD that helped me was Seroxat, but it stopped working for me and since then I've tried nearly all the SSRIs, SNRIs, mirtazapine, trazodone, amitriptyline and lofepramine without much luck. Sertraline helped me a bit and I'm still in the process of coming off it now.

Stick with the citalopram because it's helped a lot of people here. It's a terrible thing really, but finding the right drug for you is trial and error I'm afraid.

Dazo
17-12-09, 07:33
Thanks;

i know that its hard to find the right one but since my terrible experince from zoloft i am really scared to make things even worse (if thats possible)

Daniel

Dazo
17-12-09, 10:11
Any more inputs, sorry i feel a bit desperate and scared.

chickpea
17-12-09, 17:22
Have you thought about other therapies, such as CBT, hypnotherapy, relaxation, natural remedies etc?

I'm on citalopram and had a rough few weeks at the start. I really believe that rethinking my life has been what's sorted me out, less so the medication. (don't get me wrong, the meds have been good, but I always knew I'd have to do the hard work myself, through reading, not avoiding things that caused me anxiety, making changes to my life etc).

Have you been offered any kind of counselling?
Perhaps start helping yourself by reading Claire Weekes' book, "self-help for your nerves" - the bible for many people suffering anxiety.

Good luck!:hugs:

Dazo
17-12-09, 19:04
Have you thought about other therapies, such as CBT, hypnotherapy, relaxation, natural remedies etc?

I'm on citalopram and had a rough few weeks at the start. I really believe that rethinking my life has been what's sorted me out, less so the medication. (don't get me wrong, the meds have been good, but I always knew I'd have to do the hard work myself, through reading, not avoiding things that caused me anxiety, making changes to my life etc).

Have you been offered any kind of counselling?
Perhaps start helping yourself by reading Claire Weekes' book, "self-help for your nerves" - the bible for many people suffering anxiety.

Good luck!:hugs:

Hi Chickpea and thanks for answearing!

I am doing CBT and to be honest it doesnt help me very much.
I have panic attacks on daily basis and extreme high anxiety between those attacks.

I have the book from Claire Weekes wich i am reading and trying focus on.

The anxiety really eefects my life now, too much. Its easy to get depreesed from it.

Thanks again!

Daniel