PDA

View Full Version : Group CBT therapy?

Masa
17-12-09, 07:02
Has anyone tried group therapy? I've been on the waiting list for CBT since September and have just had a letter inviting me for assessment for group therapy?

I'm worried that this is not going to be as effective as if I was in the sessions on my own with the therapist?

Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

meg86
18-12-09, 12:56
Hello :)

yes i have just finished group CBT its fantastic and met a few new friends on the way, they make sure the groups are small and my sessions where 2 hours long each so it gave you plenty of time if you had any questions that you felt where unique to you but they do cover everything!

When my CBT finished they said that if you didnt feel ready you could request one on one CBT sessions which one of the members from my group did.

CBT is fantastic and has made such a difference to way i think, i am still learning the tools and am seeing improvements and for once actually looking forward to the future. Good Luck!! xx if you have any questions dont hesitate to PM me

Masa
18-12-09, 13:51
Hiya, thanks for your reply, will send you a message with some questions. Thanks! :)

june
18-12-09, 14:02
The group i attended was a bit chaotic because one of the people running it had to have time off with child who was ill.
BUT in that group i met up with other people who had the same problems as my self / some who were worse than me. I found it very interesting.
Just the fact of meeting face to face with a person who actualy has panic attacks:blush: I usually hear the doc or the psych telling me 'there are many people who suffer panic' - i always thought "where are all those people?"
I have to admit WE tend to hide it VERY WELL .
Some of the people looked SO confident and self assured - i was shocked to hear how panic was affecting their lives:ohmy:
Go with an open mind and do not expect miracles - just take what help and encouragement you can get from the group.
Hope it works well for you :hugs:
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Masa
18-12-09, 15:32
Thanks June, I hope it will work for me :)