PDA

View Full Version : Panic - When driving

deni
21-11-05, 10:43
Heres my problem, hopefully someone can help.

During the day i can drive and i very rarely get a panic attack, but when it comes to night time and its dark I always get panic attacks i am ok when someone else is the car with me but when i am on my own its horrible i always know that before i get into the car when its dark that i am going to have an attack, does anyone know of ways to prevent this or is there any remedies?

clickaway
21-11-05, 12:07
I think its a case of acclimatising yourself to this, but I would suggest you do it graudually to overcome your fears.

Could you make a habit of driving a short journey around twilight time and gradually exposing yourself to more darkness?

Not sure how far your day allows you to do this, but maybe its worth a try.

How are you on walking in the darkness, and does it make any difference if you are driving towards home as opposed to away from it?

And welcome to the forum....

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

deni
21-11-05, 19:37
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I think its a case of acclimatising yourself to this, but I would suggest you do it graudually to overcome your fears.

Could you make a habit of driving a short journey around twilight time and gradually exposing yourself to more darkness?

How are you on walking in the darkness, and does it make any difference if you are driving towards home as opposed to away from it?

Ray

<div align="right">Originally posted by clickaway - 21 November 2005 : 12:07:34</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

nomorepanic
21-11-05, 19:40
My usual driving techniques won't work at night as they involve such things as adding up car number plates, spotting colours and makes of cars etc.

I think the only way you will get over this is to stick at it and keep doing it over and over until you feel safer at night.

You could try some Rescue Remedy to help with the panicky feelings as well.

Nicola

deni
21-11-05, 19:42
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I think its a case of acclimatising yourself to this, but I would suggest you do it graudually to overcome your fears.

Ray

<div align="right">Originally posted by clickaway - 21 November 2005 : 12:07:34</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

nomorepanic
21-11-05, 20:38
Deni

You are replying with Ray's original posts but there is nothing from you.

Nicola

chellebelle
22-11-05, 09:30
Hi there! I too have trouble with panic attacks and driving! Mine can happen at any time, day or night, but I've recently found that singing really helps me get through them. As (I think Nicola!?!) suggests under this topic, it really helps control breathing. I also always take something to drink (not alcohol obviously [Duh!]) If you feel you can drive - keep going, but if it's effecting your ability to drive, pull over until you feel calmer.
Good luck and take care!

"This too, shall pass"

mirry
22-11-05, 16:24
This is something I always regret, I stopped driving just over a year ago.
I was going around a round about and went so dizzy I thought i was going to die.......I couldnt see anything and dont know how i got round it safely ? From that moment on I am too terrified to drive.
The annoying thing is we live in a village and I have to go onto motorways to go anywhere which I just freak out when doing it.

My last attempt was horrible, I started crying with my hubby sitting next to me........I couldnt breath and was hitting him with my hand in sheer panic to help me, he grabbed the wheel and I had to keep going until i could pull over. It was just like I had a pillow over my mouth and nose, I felt totally out of control and I just cant see myself getting better with this because all the time I get this severe dizzyness how on earth am I supposed to manage controlling a car ?
I think I owe it to everyone to stay off the road.:(

mirryx

Meg
22-11-05, 16:31
Mirry

And you owe it to yourself to relearn at some point.

Once you're well on the way to feeling better on terra firma you can start addressing this in tiny steps.
Going out on the roads is not in those first few steps

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Quirky
22-11-05, 16:33
I used to get panic attacks while driving, it all started after a car crash in Feb 2004. I was hit from behind and pushed into the car in front. I was taken to hospital strapped to a board and didn't panic once at the time. Afterwards though I was terrified of getting back into a car. I even asked the taxi driver taking me home from hospital to drive carefully lol. Two days after the accident (even though I had such bad whiplash I struggled) I made myself get back into the car and drive past the accident scene. I knew if I didn't I'd stop driving and as I live miles from anywhere with no buses I have to drive. In the early days I used to have huge panics, even if my hubby was driving me, and I often used to pull over if there was a car too close behind me. It was only about 3 weeks ago that I did a 50 minute journey alone and realised I hadn't panicked at all. It took me 20 months to get this far. I have no great advice but just keep doing it, in time you will realise you are ok. The only thing that helped me was to JFDI and using my CBT techniques. I am not always 100% panic free when driving (and still hate motorways) but I am so much better than I was most of the time.
Good luck,
Lisa

deni
23-11-05, 17:25
Thanks to everyone that replied now i know i am not the only one, there has been some good suggestions and i will try them all out. sometimes i think i get a panic attack when i am driving beacause i am thinking about when its going to come (hope that made sense).
Its nice to have people that understand whats happening.

Thanks

Deni

could someone tell me a bit about rescue remedy?

Meg
23-11-05, 17:32
Rescue Remedy - Help needed (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2298)
rescue remedy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2303)
Bach Rescue remedy Experience (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3967)
rescue remedy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5577)

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

kate
23-11-05, 21:30
Deni,

I too have problems with driving. I'm usually ok in the daytime except for driving on ice, snow or in fog!

Night driving I avoid if at all possible. I feel like I can't see properly when it's dark, like I easily lose my bearings. I never feel comfortable in the dark but with the dark nights coming so early at this time of year, I sometimes have no choice.

The worst scenario for me would be dark/fog AND ice or snow! I suppose the only way to overcome it is to just do it but I have to say that I do avoid whenever possible [:I]

Kate

Meg
23-11-05, 22:04
This one is interesting and a big dillemma.

I hate driving in snow. I was brought up in a country where there was no snow and when I lived in the arctic and it was 35 below zero I loved driving in it where there was plenty of space, everyone knew what to do and it all worked BUT I have always since my training days, hated driving in snow and fog here.

When I was recovering from panic years later I had these long huge internal dilemmas of whether I was avoiding or just being sensible by not driving out miles in the snow/dense fog.

Now I just look at just the Met Office website as BBC/sky/yahoo/msn all conflict anyway and decide whether it is sensible and reasonable to go or not. Would I ask my team to go on that journey..

Most days I do about 150-250 miles a day for work.
If there are severe weather warnings I don't go that way at all, if it looks just ok, I keep closer to home.

My car is ready for all weathers and well stocked but I don't add myself to those who put work above all else anymore.

There were times when I thought if I didn't make it to one appt it was a total disaster and I would go stubbornly and with total disregard for everyones elses thoughts on safety but as the years have passed and I'm more confident in myself I allow myself to choose safety and sense above brashness.

Not quite sure what I will do if it snows everyday till March though !!

I'm being optimistic that this predicted worst winter weather will come in chunks and have reasonable gaps of opportunity between them..

So maybe JFDI is needed to show that you can do it like yesterday for you, but then you can choose not to, if its not a sensible option.

Avoiding through fear is appropriate if the element of fear is proportional to real risk and snow driving to me is a real risk in the UK.

Meg

kate
23-11-05, 22:42
Meg,

One of the worst things for me is that my road is very steep and I live right at the top of it. After any snowfall and the night temperature drops below freezing, the road the next day is like a sheet of ice. We have no grit bunkers up here and the thought of driving down the hill causes me mega anxiety!

Once I'm actually down the hill I'm on a bus route all the way to work so the rest of the journey is ok. Hubby has told me loads of times how to drive down the hill on ice but my automatic reaction when sliding is to slam on the brakes and panic [:I]

I've even thought of getting a taxi to work and back if the predicted bad weather happens, that is how worried I am!

Or, alternatively, I could just give up work until next spring!

Kate

Meg
23-11-05, 22:54
Kate, I think that's a very reasonable fear....

How about taking a skid pan lesson so you knew you had learnt and practiced what to do instead of just being told.

You also get an opportunity to discuss your worry with a professional

Doing is 80 % of learning.

Meg

nomorepanic
23-11-05, 23:01
I have had this dilemma for a long time as well cos a lot of people make it into work and I feel bad if I don't but after a really bad time driving home in snow once I start to get a bit anxious when I see it snowing and I am stuck at work!

I remember driving home in it the year before last and I was on the phone to Meg and Matt (some of you may remember him) and we were all giving progress reports along the way and Meg was supporting me cos I was quite anxious.

I can work at home quite easily so this year (and next) I will be staying here if I think that it will cause me more anxiety than normal and if I think that I am risking bashing my car as well.

I did develop a fear of driving in the dark but had to "knock it on the head" cos there was no way that for 5 months of the year I would be allowed to and from work in daylight hours so I had to overcome it - and it can be done. Just practise and gain confidence.

Nicola

Meg
23-11-05, 23:32
Gosh , I do remember that .

I was stuck on the M69 for ages and ended up dishing out screenwash to several of the idiots that were totally unprepared. One bloke was putting the remains of his lunch soup on his windscreen in hope of unfreezing enough of a hole to see through, another used coke and one 20ish bint was in a mini skirt and cropped top with a feather of a cardi -- oooh, I didn't think they meant it would really snow and be this cold, as she shivered and whimpered after realizing that open toed strappy shoes meant wet and freezing feet , maybe she also found out later frostbite wasn't sexy....

Grrrrrr.

Meg

kate
24-11-05, 07:23
Meg, that's a great idea! Where do they do the skid pan lessons?

Nic, I remember that time you were driving in the snow. Yuck!

Kate

nomorepanic
24-11-05, 08:30
Meg - you were handing out food supplies as well I think and Gary, bless him, was going to drive out to meet you.

Kate - I did one many years ago and it was run by the local police so not sure if that helps. It was great fun cos you don't care if you bash their cars !

Nicola

Meg
24-11-05, 12:46
http://www.skidcontrolcentre.co.uk/

There are several places but do pick one where they use as near real conditions as possible.

Maybe we could make it into a NMP day out !!

I'd be up for it - good to learn new practical skills.

Meg

Lucy36
24-11-05, 13:00
Hi Deni, im the total opposite with my driving, i prefer driving in dark than during the day, i dont as such get panic attacks but what i do get is adrenaline rushes which is not a very pleasant feeling. especially if i do drive during the day times. but not so much at nights, are you still at your driving at moment, keep it up it will get easier.

Take care
Lucy

kate
24-11-05, 15:24
LOL Meg, that would be a great meet up day out!

Nic, did you find it useful?

Kate x

kate
24-11-05, 15:26
I just looked at that website, Meg, 75 quid for 3 hours. Not bad eh?

Kate

nomorepanic
24-11-05, 15:54
Kate

Yes it was great but I could do with a refresher - I would be up for it again.

Nicola

deni
24-11-05, 21:53
the way kate described it is the same fror me, my boyfriend thinks that i am being stupid because i try not to drive at night, i am not to bad driving down roads that have lights along them but when it comes to roads that are pitch black thats when i panic, i have to drive in the dark nights as my daughter goes to her clubs after tea time and i dont want her to miss out because of me, i think it will just take time, from the replies that i have had it seems that the best way to avoid panicing is to keep my mind on something else.
If there is anyone who has over come driving at night please let me know your secrets.

All the best

Deni

nomorepanic
24-11-05, 22:04
Deni

I overcame it by doing it over and over until I was bored. I just drove around and around the local villages that were dark and in time I gained confidence.

There is no miracle cure I am afraid - you just have to face and tell yourself you are fine and you are doing well and you will not panic.

It will come in time trust me

Nicola

deni
24-11-05, 22:06
Can you buy rescue remedy in chemists or do you have to go to the likes of holland and barrett?

Would this help with the panic attacks when driving at night?

nomorepanic
24-11-05, 22:49
Yes most chemist stock it including boots. It does help me

Nicola

deni
25-11-05, 10:33
thanks i will get some today, i am heading off to spain in a couple of hours and i am a bit nervous about flying, hopefully if i can get some before i go it will help me.

Denise

Shadowwin
26-11-05, 22:12
I'm just the opposite of you I have trouble driving in the daylight hours especially if it is drifting between light and shadowy it seems to confuse me one of the techniqiues I do use however is I count the bumps on the steering wheel as I drive it seems to help me focus. Also I put on my favorite music and sing along at the top of my lungs especially if I am alone.. and I always keep at least one of my windows cracked open it makes me realize that there is an escape right outside the door all i have to do is pull over and i'm free.

Driving is the worst trigger for my attacks.. especially if I am alone. I start going on a what if fest or wondering if I'm going to make it to where i'm going. Also if possible carry a cell phone with you with phone numbers to "safe" people who know you suffer from anxiety, I also carry the number to my local Crisis Services in my phone.

Hope this helps some!!
~Shadowwin

edesylily
19-04-12, 08:17
to help me with my driving panic i go out with my husband in the evening or the weekend and just drive round for 10 minutes just to get me back into it. if i feel im going to panic he puts a cold bottle of water on the back of my neck or i open the window and breath slowly-carrying on driving and gradually they are going away. the distance gets longer each time we go out. if i feel really bad i pull over for a few minutes, then carry on driving again. it really is helping, i havnt done it with friends in the car as ive kept them in the dark about my panic attacks.

honeyb
19-04-12, 13:12
Hi i get panic attacks and feel nervous when driving on my own, particularly when driving home from work and if there is heavy traffic. I hate it. As edeylily says i find that a cold bottle of water on the neck and also sipping water really helps. I think it feels worse when you get hot and sweaty from panic that is makes you feel ten times worse.