PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone

ArfurPint
21-11-05, 11:41
Hi everyone,

I signed up a while ago and haven't posted up until now as I've been feeling pretty good.

Well, the train has come off the rails again and I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself (typical man eh ?).

I've had anxiety for over 5 years now, and in the main, I can control it by being sensible with things like diet, sleep, exercise, relaxation - the usual things..

But after a few months of feeling OK, my good habits start to fall by the way-side and I let the stress levels build up again, thinking : "I'm OK now..I don't need to worry about that anxiety stuff anymore".

I've read an awful lot about anxiety, I know the symptoms and underlying causes, but what frustrates me is that just having that information and knowledge isn't enough to beat it. It is almost impossible to think rationally when having an anxiety episode. In my case, I become fixated on problems with my heart, which I know a lot of people suffer with.

On Saturday and Sunday night, I was very close to getting in my car and driving down to the hospital, thinking the same old thoughts : "No, all the other times, I know it was anxiety, this time I'm sure I've got a heart problem". Its the palpitations that really frighten me...I spend ages just taking my pulse, noticing how often my heart skips beats (even though I know that by doing that, I'm feeding the attack). After a weekend of thinking I'm going to die at any moment, I'm feeling a bit battered today..

When I first started having the issues, my GP was very good and sent me to have checks at the hospital for my heart, including a thorough examination from a consultant cardiologist, and I was given the all clear. My symptoms are the same now as they were then so there is no rational reason to suspect that I've since developed heart problems, but the doubts still persist when I get one of these episodes. I do lots of running (usually three times a week) with no issues at all...it is all in my head !!!

Well, that's my rant over with. I know that a lot of people suffer a great deal more than I do and I should be thankful that I can control my symptoms for much of the time, but I am so sick of losing chunks of my life to this stupid 'illness'. Thanks for listening.

darkangel
21-11-05, 11:55
Hi there
Yeah you think you are getting somewhere then that old anxiety comes and bites again. I can only speak for myself here but when things are going well I tend to forget about doing my relaxation exercises, breathing, and maybe not realising that stress is building up again to the level where the anxiety symptoms kick back in again. When I have been well and then i get a panic attack i seem to have forgotten how bad they actually can be. For me I need to work at keeping my stress levels under control, eating properly, getting enough sleep, etc.

You have been doing really well and think of this as a little blip - dont give it any power.

Take care
Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

clickaway
21-11-05, 12:47
Hi

I do believe recovery is a very gradual process and I've heard it said that the final stages are the hardest, in part due to how you've described - you let things slide.

Anyway, welcome to the forum - with a name like that will you be visiting "THE LOCAL" ?

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

ArfurPint
21-11-05, 13:05
Thanks for the responses. Its really nice to get some feedback and advice.

As for the pub, I'm afraid that if I do, its only soft drinks these days (except maybe for Xmas !).

Nigel.

trac67
21-11-05, 13:27
Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here.

With the anxiety I think it is a case of finding a happy medium, with how far we push ourselves and how much stress we take on.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
21-11-05, 13:49
Hi there,

I agree with the other posts - recovery is a gradual process.

Welcome to the site.:)

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
21-11-05, 16:37
I would say the last few % in recovery are the toughest as you know what to do but when you hit a trigger its hard to dissipate it.

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

chucklehound
21-11-05, 16:41
Hi Nigel and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make some great friends too!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

nomorepanic
21-11-05, 18:30
Hi Nigel

Welcome aboard. I love the name!

I too have struggled with the final %. I am free of panic but still get anxiety attacks and struggle with that at times.

I hope we can give you all the support and advice you need on here.

Nicola

Karen
21-11-05, 18:31
Hi Nigel

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

wobily_lin
21-11-05, 23:34
hi nigel

wecome to the site.xxx

lin x