PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like this???

Beckymk
17-12-09, 23:43
When I am really anxious, I sometimes get this sudden urge to go to he toilet, and I mean sudden as in I have very little warning. However when I get to a loo I find I dont need to go. I find that a lot of my anxiety about leaving the house, or going anywhere away from home is focused on whether I am going to need the toilet or not! I know this sounds weird but I am so scared I am not going to be able to get to a loo quick enough. Does anyone else have these thoughts and feelings?

LoveMusic
17-12-09, 23:46
Yes, I do and its very common.

Its amazing, you can feel so sick, so convinced its 'real' when its the anxiety. Going on long car journeys makes me nervous about finding a bathroom.

Beckymk
17-12-09, 23:49
That is what I am worried about, as its christmas we are travelling to see family etc, I am so worried that we just wont be able to stop....and then what!!

nomorepanic
17-12-09, 23:49
this is from the symptoms page on the left

Kidneys, urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the toilet

What you feel:

You have an urgent need to go to the toilet, even though you may have just gone. Starts decreasing urine output but initially wants to get rid of everything already waiting to be excreted. May need to visit the loo urgently.
What causes this:

High stress biology produces the need to eliminate. It does so because when the body prepares for action, it wants to eliminate all waste matter in order to make the body as well prepared for action as possible. Having all excess baggage removed, the individual will be at their peak readiness in order to 'fight or run' - the 'fight or flight' response, produced by the Emergency alarm.
This symptom is very common and often experienced by stage performers just before they are to perform. Unfortunately, for those who experience anxiety disorder, a high level of stress biology will produce this symptom, and as long as the stress biology is high, the symptom will be produced. That's just how the body was engineered.
Some remedies include ant-acids, diarrhoea medication, relaxation and deep breathing.

Beckymk
17-12-09, 23:53
Thank you - at least its not just me :)

LoveMusic
18-12-09, 00:00
What I try to think is that its happened before, and I was okay. That I don't need to overthink it because there is usually a toilet nearby.

Beckymk
18-12-09, 00:02
That sounds a good way to look at it, I have been doing a CBT course with my therapist and that is the kind of thinking he tries to get me doing!

LoveMusic
18-12-09, 00:03
Its hard because your head tells you 'this time its real, honest!'

:D

Beckymk
18-12-09, 00:08
Yeah exactly that! I feel like maybe I have just been lucky all the other times!

BabyRachel
18-12-09, 05:10
I get this exact problem too.... It has stopped me from doing many social activites... I hate it hate it hate it!!!

robike29
19-12-09, 22:33
I have the same problem, whenever I go anywhere different one of the first things I need to do when I get there is to check where the toilets are located. I have been like this for nearly 4 years, I also hate feeling like this.

LoveMusic
20-12-09, 13:43
I think its such a common thing, its funny you imagine its just you.

Sandywood
20-12-09, 16:44

barbn
21-12-09, 15:30
Feel like that all the time - in fact I remeber in grade school (this is way back when - whent hey did not medicate or even believe in anxiety in children) - I would be terrified to go on field trips as I would worry about going to the bathroom. Now that I am on medication it doesn't happen as often - but it still does at times.

Sweetpea6
21-12-09, 17:30
YES YES YES!!! I completely understand!! I have been suffering with this for the past 10 months or so, and the fear has completely dominated my life. So you are not alone.

I'm seeing a CBT psychologist too, and am now on medication, which has been an enourmous help. I feel I am making progress.

I just think to myself...I have been worrying that I'll wet myself for the past 10 months, and yet it has never, ever happened. So why now? Easier said than done, I admit!

The fear that it is just. about. to happen is so incredibly intense though, even if when you're calm and thinking rationally you know it would never happen. And I always get the thought too that every other time I had a lucky escape/got to the loo in time etc, and think that this will be the time it actually happens.

It's awful.

But I do feel so much better than I did previously, and know that one day I will be free of this. And so will you. PM about it any time if you fancy. Good luck in beating this.