PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone on morphine and propranolol ?

sarah jayne
18-12-09, 10:35
Ive been back to the doctors today and ive been prescribed morphine for pain relief. Im in pain due to having 3 slipped disks in my neck, costachondritis, a constant headache since july and now my joints are sore. I have to take 1 5ml spoonful a day. Ive also been prescribed propranol for my anxiety. Im glad that im finally being taken seriously and they dont think that the pain is 'in my head' but im wary of taking such a strong drug. I have 2 children and i work and my job involves alot of driving. Ive taken morphine before but only when i was in hospital and it made me feel really weird !
Any advice would be appreciated x

anx mum
18-12-09, 10:49
was on mophine hun when was in hospital did help with my headache have u had any yet glad doc finally taking u seriously bout time

nomorepanic
18-12-09, 10:57
I was on morphine earlier this year due to the pain I was in with the Crohn's. I am also on a betablocker similar to propanolol.

I was taking a similar dose but every 4 hours not just once a day.

I was able to carry on and drive too.

I am sure you will be ok but see how you feel after the first dose.

sarah jayne
18-12-09, 11:04
I havent had any yet, i think i'll suffer another day and wait til tomorrow when my husbands off work just in case i have any side effects and cant drive to pick the children up from nursery and school. Im always scared to take new medications cause i always seem to get all the bad side effects ! Im glad i changed doctors, if i hadnt i would prob be still getting fobbed off and told to take paracetomol ! x

kittykat
18-12-09, 14:20
Hi,

I have been on morphine 10 mg, for my back it made a bit sleepy and i couldnt have any alcohol at all.... but no worse than any other medication ive been on, i still have to take it on and off xx

poppy1
19-12-09, 14:36
I take propranalol and it doesnt affect my functioning at all.

sarah jayne
01-01-10, 21:56
Ive been having the morphine without any side effects at all but its not the wonder drug i thought it would be. Im still in pain ! My headaches have gone really bad again so im going to start taking the propranolol and see if they help...x

victoria_s
01-01-10, 22:02
hi sarah jane, im quite sure propranolol is prescribed for bad headaches/migranes and well as the physical symptoms of panic , so hopefully they work x

Alisonj
01-01-10, 22:38
I take propanolol for hand tremors and I was on morphine after my surgery for a bit. I find that eventually your body adapts to the morphine and you dont feel as funny after a few days.

Going home
02-01-10, 00:27
I think it fine to take strong painkillers with betablockers...i'm on propranolol 80mg daily and can also take painkillers. The role of Beta blockers is to block adrenaline receptors, which is why they're good for anxiety because without all that xtra adrenaline, they slow the heart rate down. They're also pescribed for migrianes because migraines are 'vascular' and not muscular, so they're not 'painkillers' in the conventional sense.

Going home xx