PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol Side Effect (Ladies Only)

80schickx
18-12-09, 14:40
Hi there.

I am fairly new to this forum - joined this week. Started taking Propranolol this week for anxiety - started with 2 x 40mg a day but now gone up to 3 x 40 mg. Taking a bit of getting used to and have made me feel dizzy and sick, but gonna stick it out until next week when I have a review with my GP.

However, in the past couple of days I have had a horrid dark brown coloured discharge (sorry for this but gotta say it how it is) which is also quite sticky. Not sure if this is a side effect or something different. I will mention in at my appt next week but wondered if anyone else has suffered with this? It's enough to warrant me wearing a panty liner unfortunately.

jojo81182
18-12-09, 15:03
Hiya 80'schick,

This sometimes happens to me during ovulation which usually about 14days after the first day of your last period, the sticky stuff is mucus that enables sperm to get to the egg easier and the brown dischargy stuff could be implantation bleeding, when the egg is attempting to embed itself into the womb or it could be some old blood that didn't come out when you were on your period - Im very sure that its nothing to worry about. If it makes you feel better then mention to your GP at your next appt but I am pretty sure that it is not a side effect of propanolol.

Hope this helps

xx

80schickx
18-12-09, 15:06
Hi Jo Jo

Its 21 days since my last period, but I've never been particularly regular. Everything that you just said makes perfect sense, so I will keep a diary of when it happens to see if a pattern forms.

Thanks

jojo81182
18-12-09, 15:10
No worries... Ive done my research on ovulation! lol

How you finding the site? Its been a god send on the dark lonley nights for me!!

xx

80schickx
18-12-09, 15:15
This site is a godsend. Although lots of us are suffering its good to know we are not alone.

Actually thinking about it is 21 days since my last period started, so maybe it is ovulation!! Roll on menopause thats what I say!!

jojo81182
18-12-09, 15:20
yeah, it definitely makes you realise that what you have IS anxiety and that so many other people feel the same way as you.

I would deffo say that you are ovulating... not sure about the menopause bit tho!! lol... how old are you then? i would say about the same age as me going from your username? Whats your story re the anxiety? thats if you dont mind sharing!!

xx

80schickx
18-12-09, 15:32
Hiya - I'm 39, and don't have any children or have a grand desire to have one so periods are a waste of time for me! Knowing me, I will hit 40 then suddenely become all maternal!

Anxiety started this June whilst on holiday in Vegas, though at the time I didnt realise thats what it was. No build up or anything - boom just out of the blue! Upon returning home I found I was getting nervous about doing the most mundane things, so went to the docs who said I was suffering from anxiety and prescribed me Antenolol to take "as and when". This was working out fine and for 6 weeks I didnt have an anxiety attack and thought that was the end of it. Went on holiday again in September and I was anxious everyday. Slowly but surely is been getting worse, but I am also in the middle of a house move which has gone a bit wrong so thats not helped! At the moment its got to the point where I dont even want to pop round and see friends.

Thats when I went back to docs and now prescribed Propranolol. Its only the first week and they do take a bit of getting used to. Been off work all week as I have to commute and just wasnt feeling comfortable with having to do that. Today however I have been anxious free but I'm taking it a day at a time.

The only side effects so far have been insomnia, dizziness and sickness, but these all seem fairly common side effects so not overly worried.

TBH Im not really looking forward to Xmas, especially visiting friends and family but I also know I cant sit and fester at home everyday either. I will get through this.

Whats your story?

jojo81182
18-12-09, 15:59
I would say that the fact that you went on holiday again triggered this bout of anxiety off... Im no expert but I do realise that the subconcious mind is a very powerful thing! You will get through this, its just a case of getting there, it can be a rocky road but it'll be worth it in the end. Thats great that you're having a good day, i've found that the bad days are gradually replaced by the good days as time goes on.

I too have been suffering since June - We lost a baby girl 21weeks into my pregnancy and had a few complications after the birth - I actually thought I was going to die. We went on holiday in the July and I had my first panic attack on the plane, I then had a few in the space of a couple of months - Just panic attacks though until the end of October when we were having money probs and nearly got evicted from our property - I've never been the same since I got that letter to say that we had to be out. I went on autopilot and got everything sorted and then had the constant anxiety all day everyday - I realised quite quickly what was going on as my aunt suffers too so got help straight away - Ive just finished a course of psychotherapy and have been on prozac since the beginning of November - Ive also opted for a bit of reiki which I have found to be amazing and tried my best to adopt positive thinking. I've cut out caffeine by switching to camomile & fruit teas and have also cut out alchohol. I've been feeling alot better over the last 4weeks and feel that everything will be ok in the end. There is a really dark place in the depths of anxiety and I think that once you can get through that, you can get through ANYTHING!

xx

80schickx
18-12-09, 19:49
wow you have really been through it, but realised you needed help and have got it. Well done you. The human mind is quite a fragile thing really and anxiety and panic is far more widespread than we think. I kept it from my family for months as I know they are worriers but have come clean now, which is a big weight off for me. Lets hope 2010 is our year!!