PDA

View Full Version : Scary and weird.

bluebee
18-12-09, 17:06
Last night I woke up with a numb arm. I then began to worry and I started making up imaginary symptoms eg. loss of vision in one eye, tingly face etc. I got really frightened then and was tremling and breathing too fast. Next something really weird happened. I could hardly speak-I couldn't find the right words to use in my sentences, I was getting the letters at the start of my words mixed up. Saying things like 'san I cav a water' meaning to say 'can I have some water.' It was so scary. So I tried to write down what I was trying to say instead of having to speak. That didn't work, I kept writing the same word over and over again and I couldn't remember how to spell simple words like 'can' and 'want'. Eventually I calmed down and my sentences started to make sense again. It was so frightening though. Is it normal to sometimes forget how to speak and write properly when having a panic attack?

gypsywomen
18-12-09, 17:21
it sounds like panic attack ,,or anxiety ,,i know a lady who didn't walk for 3 years yet nothing wrong with her every test done ,now she drives ad is great ,they told her it was anxiety that made her that way pure and simple the mind is very complex .what we have to do is try and override the thoughts ,if you get this again might be as well have chat with doc xx

Anxious_gal
18-12-09, 19:25
that is what happens when i get a migraine!!!! i cannot speak, i get all my words mixed up, n they don't sound right, i just seem to forget how to speak.
but i have noticed if i satay calm it will pass but if i panic it seems to get worse and last longer

deon
19-12-09, 22:58
Ive only had one migraine and that was a stress reaction... the numb arm and funny speech lasted for about ten minutes. I was able to write a note for my colleague in gibberish english. I was taken to A and E with a suspected stroke / TIA, but everything was ok. despite all the tests this was the scare that opened the flood gates to all my subsequent panic attacks, I wish Id known that it was migraine at the time!

bluebee
21-12-09, 13:21
Thanks for your replies everyone. :hugs:

Ireni
21-12-09, 13:49
If it helps, I think I get migranes and I've had similar symptoms but I should also point out that it's still more likely to be severe anxiety. People's arms often go numb when they're in bed, especially if they're lying on them! Your panic about that could have been more than enough to trigger all of the other symptoms. When I had one of my worst panic attacks, I was talking gibberish really quickly but it was like speaking in tongues. It sounded like Russian, not English! In hospital I also had an experience where I couldn't read. I was reading the headline of a newspaper but the words didn't make sense. These things are all anxiety. They're scary, but harmless.

:hugs: