PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone

AJS
18-12-09, 21:35
Hi Everyone
This is my first post - just registered today.
I suffered my first panic attack (it was awful - i thought i was having a heart attack - lasted about 90mins), followed by a week of terrible anxiety - no sleeping - no eating - constant knot in stomach - feeling of going mad - about 8 weeks ago
- doc gave me propananol and sent me to see a stress counsellor. I undertook all the advice i was given like no caffine, lots of excercise, lots of water, relaxation tapes, deep breathing etc - this helped for a while but after about 6 weeks the panic attacks slowly came back getting bigger and bigger with anxiety. Being in work and feeling like suddenly running out the door is not a nice feeling - as I have just realised after finding this website - you have all felt these things and I am not alone.
Anyway went back to see the Doc and she has put me on 20mg citralopam - I have been taking these for 9 days now and am slowly starting to feel a bit normal again. The first few days I still had the panic attacks, felt sick with a pounding head and diziness and wanted to stop taking them - but now glad I stuck to them. Still getting the odd panicky feeling lasting around 30 mins (not as full on as a panic attack). The doc said it was Ok to take beta blockers and the citralopam - but I did this once and got sudden burning sensations in my chest and upper arms - i'm not sure if this was a different symptom of a panic attack or a side effect of mixing the 2 tablets - any advice? I'm going on a long journey on Tuesday and will be away from home for 5 days - so would just feel better in the knowledge that it's ok to take the beta blockers.
Thanks

nomorepanic
18-12-09, 21:37
Hi AJS

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
18-12-09, 22:33
Welcome to NMP , You will find it helpful and supportive. Look forward to seeing you in chat Paige x

notsobubblychick
19-12-09, 00:15
Hiya

That makes us 'newbies' together as its my first time on here.

It looks to be a fantastic website, only wish I new about it 7 weeks ago when I experienced multiple panic attacks lasting throughout the night for 3 nights on the run from the moment it got dark. I was in a right state and as it happened over a weekend couldn't get to see GP until the Monday.

Thankfully he was brilliant - I'd gone in the surgery begging him to help me - hadn't slept for 3 nights - if feel asleep would awake in a panic. So was like a zombie.

They suddenly happened out of the blue without warning (as they tend to do) as soon as the clocks went back (I was worried about the dark nights).

Like yourself, I didn't just feel like running outside, I actually did, right thro' the night in my nightie onto drive many times. Was sooo panicky, needed air to breathe and thought that if something happened to me, someone would see me in the street.

So would like to say to you, well done for controlling it and not actually going outside - not a safe thing to do!

For me, it was like years of stress and anxiety had just hit me and had exploded like an erupting volcano. In July/August I was having dizzy and feeling faint episodes. Gp's said was stress and anxiety but offered me no help whatsover. Two-3months later I got into the above state.

GP currently seeing is new to practice and brilliant I'm pleased to say. Now on Escitaloprom (which takes a while to get into system) after initially being put on Diazepam for a couple of weeks.

Sorry can't advise on the medication. If you call NHS direct they'll be able to answer that for you.
Maria