PDA

View Full Version : advice please

mellyuk
19-12-09, 13:59
Hi all

I am writing on here as I would like some advice.

I was put on citalopram in September 2008 after my partner of 8 yrs had left me and after 10 yrs of health anxiety and panic attacks.

The citalopram worked, I got out more, had more zest for life, however they made me numb from the waist down. I got into a new relationship and got sick of faking it and sick of having no sexual feelings. So as I felt really well I tappered them down over 3 months and stopped at the end of september 2009, I was only on 20mg.

All fine until in October when the doc gave me the mini pill and it sent me insane, unrational thoughts, such as my new fella two timing me ect. Stopped the pill my periods are settling, however I am stuck ina negitive vibe, moaning about everything, hating work and worrying about my new relationship.

I am a healthy 32 yr old female, no kids, healthy diet and exercise a lot, when I am well. Over the last two months and whilst on citalopram, I hardly ever worked out or eat well. The doc has now given me Mitazipine 15mg to be taken at night.

I am so worried about weight gain, sedation and sexual problems again it is driving me mad. I took one last night at 9pm and had to go bed 10 mins later, was off my rocker. Slept till 11.30 am and woke up groggy, only now 13.45 am I feeling a little more with it.

I have identifyed my problem, I smoke weed and smoke the stuff every night and I wonder why I get paranoid!!!! I also suffer from terrible PMS for two weeks a month and am dreading another two weeks of hell, due to start monday.

My new fella said the other week he wouldn't be happy if I went back on antidepressants but I just want to feel happy and smiley again like I was when I met him. I seem to have lost all of my confidence that I had built up on the citalopram and I am terrified of spoiling my new relationship with my negative thoughts. My partner also smokes weed and I am going to say to him, you have no problems with me smoking weed and that alters chemicals in your brain, so why you have such a problem with anti depressants??

I am very worried about taking them anyway and hope that this time I can stop the weed smoking, as it knocks me out when I take it and I don't need weed to help me sleep.

I am so unsure though, anyone taken this and not gained weight, I am hoping when I feel better I will start running and working out again and this should control weight gain and I am also full of anxiety about loss of my orgasm again. I love sex and orgasms and feel it is unacceptable to lose this enjoyment, I must add that my orgasms still haven't returned to normal since stopping the citalopram but other parts of sex have improved like arousal and lubrication. Anyone on here been put on Mitazipine because of ssri induced sexual dysfunction and found that sex returned to normal??

Any help would be greatly received as I am unsure about taking another tablet tonight and getting on with this treatment.

Thanks

K x

PS: Whilet on citalopram I become very lazy, stopped running my business and become untidy in my house, which is unheard off, I only had motivation for getting out and getting a life. Its odd, since stopping them I've had more motivation, but I am no where near how I used to be, I used to be a highly driven, high achiever

ElizabethJane
20-12-09, 22:47
I have been taking mirtazapine 30mg for four months this time. The previous time my weight ballooned to 13 and a half stone. This time after the initial settling in period I have found with diet and exercise I have maintained a healthy weight. You can do this too. I have proved that you can stay on mirtazapine without putting on extra weight. You must work on it though. The mirt in lower doses will be extremely sedating especially in the first few weeks. I have never smoked cannabis but all I can say is to stop smoking it at least until you don't need the anti depressants anymore. It is definitely messing up your brain chemicals. As for 'O's and sex mirtazapine has never messed up my sex life. You still be able to have oragasms and have a fulfilling sex life with your partner. Allow yourself time to get used to the drug. This may take up to four weeks. I hope you start to feel better.

mellyuk
20-12-09, 23:24
Hi there

Thank you so much for your advice and support.

I took on two nights ago and was knocked out for ages and am still recovering. I work nights and really can't see this one working out for me. I am going to see my boyfriend in a few days and try to explain to him that I have gotten stuck in this negative vibe, that I know is silly, I just can't control. I am going to ask him for his support with going back on the tablets and giving up the weed.

I will call my doctor in the morning, doubt I will get to see one or speak to one, but I am going to ask the for loferemine. I beleive this one is as sedating and shouldn't mess with my O's ;-)

I just want to feel better again, like I did when I met him. You see thinking about it today (I think way too much) I realised that I was so down on my birthday I was going to ask for a change in meds. Then I met him and my life was great so I stopped the pills, also I wanted O's.

Silly of me I know and I am slipping back to the old moody worried melly :-(

thanks again xx