PDA

View Full Version : Dont Feel Like I Have Family Anymore

Ruby94
19-12-09, 21:42
Mum, Dad, Sister and Brother have always been perfect. COMPLETLEY NORMAL. Im the only one who suffers with
panic and anxiety, and now its taking its toll on me. Because
they all think im not normal and im a failure in their eyes.

Im spending christmas with them and im so depressed about it. I have to go otherwise i'll let them down once again.

I feel like i have no one, i would move in with my boyfriend but what it that goes wrong.

What can i do :'(

Zsofi
20-12-09, 16:30
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Dear Ruby,

If your family thinks you are a failure because of your anxiety, sorry to say, but it is THEIR failure and not yours.

We all have to realize though (including myself) that people who never experienced panic and anxiety have no clue whatsoever about what we are going through on a daily basis. When they get tired of us or not knowing how to help anymore, they like to think that we are just "making it up" or that we are "hysterical", etc.

Please don't let yourself pulled down by them and their opinions!

What you need to know is this: YOU ARE A HERO for coping your panic day by day, that you are an extremely strong person who could be (should be) a role model for the rest of your family!

Cheer up and know you are not alone!

Zsofi :flowers:

unspoken
20-12-09, 16:53
Hi, I know where you're coming from here. In my case, my parents just refuse to believe in the existence of depression and anxiety. My older sister has ME so is unable to move out or work or do very much and I was feeling all the pressure to achieve and perform and not be a failure. I think that pressure is partly what led to the current depression that caused me to give up my job.

Zsofi is exactly right, you're not a failure, you're using so much courage to cope with the anxiety and panic. I think the feeling of being a failure and their unsympathetic attitudes will be contributing to your anxiety. Christmas is a really hard time because you're forced to spend time with family and there's this pressure to get on with each other which causes yet more tension. It's also a time (certainly in my family) of getting in touch with relatives and family friends and updating them on the wonderful things the children have achieved (it's like a competition). Your family are not perfect, because nobody is perfect. You have the ability to emphathise with other people who are ill, anxious, depressed or generally weaker than the "normal" person so in that way, you are doing better than your family.

:hugs: