PDA

View Full Version : Is this "normal"?

Brownie
30-01-04, 09:22
Hi all,
Well i don't mean normal (lol) well normal for us anxiety sufferersthatis. When i wake up in the morning i feel very jittery, my breathing is odd, just small breaths which makes me nervouse becasue i think im just going to stop breathing or something (even though i know tha wont happen it just feels like it)It just makes me ver anxious. I take my pills rite away even though though they dont kick in for an hour or 2 and when they kick in i feel very calm and relaxed. At around six or so i usually have to take a nap because my pills make me very drousy (but they are the only things that seemed to work). But when i wake up after the nap i get very anxious aagain but then it will go away. I stay up very late into the night because i can never seem to get to bed at night Im on the computer all hours of the night!And wake up very late! I dont know if this is normal to feel this much anxiety throughout the day even though i should'nt say that because i have'nt had a panic attack in a few weeks just this anxiety constantly which i guess i prefer over the attacks.

( I babble on too much don't i? lol)

-Christie[:I]

Lottie32
30-01-04, 12:12
Christie

I haven't had a panic attack for (touch wood) ages now, my anxiety levels are gradually reducing too. However, there are quite a few mornings where I wake up jittery. It's not major, and I don't medicate, but it's enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

Usually, by the time I've got ready for work and driven there, had a drink and booted up my computer it has all but disappeared. By 10 I am usually totally free.

Now when I wake up I try not to think about it, and just say, well that will go away soon.

If you don't have to get up immediately, why not try listening to a relaxation/meditation tape. Or distract yourself by preparing the veg for tea whilst listening to the radio/watching tele. Try a radio station that plays "old tunes" that you recognise and can belt out in time to.

Well done for not having panic attacks. If your progress is anything like mine, then I went panic, to anxiety to jittery some of the time.

It was also linked into whether I had had a good nights sleep too.

Last week I was marvellous - but this week, with having a heavy cold, I am waking up three or four times in the night, having trouble dropping off, and restless dreams, so I don't feel refreshed or revived either!

Try not to think too much about it - just concentrate on the fact that the panic attacks are receeding!

Charlie

Meg
30-01-04, 13:00
Christie,

Try to eat something as soon after waking as possible.
Try to teach yourself to deepen your breaths gently over time.

I forget what pills you are on but if there are any valium, Xanax type meds then if you're feeling drowsy then you can probably cut the dose down a tiny increment. The correct dose will ease the anxiety but not make you drowsy enough to need a nap.

Babbling is fine ..it takes as long as it takes to explain something .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lilith
30-01-04, 23:25
It's normal for me, Brownie. Actually, it's gotten better since I cut out caffeine (including chocolate.) But I still have times when I feel that jittery, odd-breathing feeling that you described. I take Xanax once or twice a week, as needed, and I take as little as possible, because a) too much puts me to sleep, and b) I'm afraid of getting addicted.

stimpy
30-01-04, 23:43
Hi Christie

It's normal for me too. I too still stay up until all hours, either watching tv or playing on the computer.
At one time I wouldn't even bother going to bed, I would just fall asleep on the sofa. I am getting braver, I will go to bed now, but I still leave the light on.

I hate that odd jittery feeling. I used to tell my CPN that being awake for an hour a day was an hour too long.

Once your anxiety dies down a little, these horrible feelings will go away.

Oh and well done Charlie ! Great to hear your panic attacks are receeding.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

diana
31-01-04, 21:18
Hi Christie,

I know how you feel I also get those feelings you described. I stay up till all hours, because I just don`t feel right. Then when I finally doze off, I only sleep for like 2-3 hours, sometimes 4. Then up again feeling anxious, odd breathing too the whole nine yards.Till I feel like I can doze off again. It is just a vicious cycle is`nt it. I am supposed to be taking Ativan as needed, but have decided not to do so. I am afraid to take the meds too. I was also on Prozac, but have taken myself off of that too. I am pretty much only down to taking my diabete meds, and an occassional pain reliever for headaches or body aches. I am considering using the Omega-3 in place of the Ativan and prozac, anybody have any ideas or suggestions on this? Christie these feelings we have will pass, as they have in the past. Although I should say this last time of onset PA`s for me has brought with them loads of daily feelings of anxiety. The feelings of anxiety are lasting much longer this time for some reason. That feeling of something quite not being right does`nt escape my thoughts. Not sure why????? Almost everyday feeling as if I`m on the verge of an attack. Does this sound right to you all? I also have days where I feel very light headed or dizzy for a few hours after waking or through out an entire day. Who knows???????

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
02-02-04, 16:57
Hi Diana,

To have come off both ativan and prozac is quite tough to cope with. I hope you came off very very slowly or these heigtened feeling could well be withdrawal !

Omega 3 can be a support for depression and anxiety but is not a treatment. Kava , Gaba or HTP5 may be helpful .

Watch your breathing- really take time out if you're dizzy and work on your depth and slowness of breath.

Yes , feeling on the verge. Exercise or relax and try to downgrade/distract from it- just for a short time.

Change the mood - change the feelings .

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
02-02-04, 18:43
Meg,

Thanks again. Yes I did kinda go cold turkey on those meds. As I am tired of living day to day on RX meds. I take already (2) 3x`s a day for diabetes, until I get everything else in order. I may be able to get off of them too, once I figure out the mental and emotional part of me, I can work on the physical, which obviously keeps me on the diabetic meds. Is the HTP5, and Gaba a supplement to use everyday or just as needed? I may try to pick one of those up today and start tomorrow to see how it helps. What exactly do these supplements do for you? How long does withdrawal usually last? I will practice my breathing and find something to do in the way of "EXERCISE" Like walking maybe, would that help at all?

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
02-02-04, 19:00
Diana,

Well if you just quit ,the heightened anxiety is almost definately withdrawal. 4 - 6 weeks to more or less end the effects .

You need to learn much more about the Gaba etc before you start anything especially with diabetes in mind. Have a good chat to a health shop owner.

Walking will help with anxiety and diabetes ! Go for it.

Meg