PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

Rigstar
21-12-09, 07:18
Hey guys,
I am 22 and have been on here before in regards to blood pressure. Anyway i thought everything was going good until today. My doctor changed my blood pressure medication last week from metoprolol to ramipril 1.25 for a week. So i had been taking my bp at home for the whole week, this is a bp machine i brought myself. Throughout the week my bp has consistantly been low everytime i take it i get 120/60 and lower readings never higher. So the problem starts when i get the blood pressure taken by the doctor today and he gets 158/85? i automatically question it and say that i have been taking it at home and its low. He told me that he believes my bp is going up and down all day from low to high and that he thinks upping my medication to 5mg of ramipril will keep it consistantly at a low reading.

My thoughts are that 2.5mg has already made me lightheaded (or is that the anxiety?) and that my readings at home are always low so why up it?. I am also concerned that my bp monitor may be wrong. But honestly i believe his reading was just high because i was anxious. Anyway i will continue on Ramipril 2.5mg for another week and continue to be concerned for a while longer if my home bp monitor is right!!!!

Cheers!

darrenc
21-12-09, 08:51
You could have white coat hypertension, I think that is what it is called.

Maybe you get nervous when visiting the doctor, and that will make your blood pressure higher.

I have the same problem, at home my bp is about 125/85, but at the doctors it's 145/90.

nomorepanic
21-12-09, 08:54
Take your blood pressure monitor in to the docs and then you can compare the 2 readings taken at the same time.

I did this so the doc was happy that mine was giving slightly higher readings than he got which is good.

I also get white coat syndrome so mine is higher at the docs.

I had a 24-hour blood pressure monitor done and it was all fine.

sharona
08-01-10, 07:50
Hi

I have recently been checked for high blood pressure as in the doctors it was 150/80 and 140/70 so my doctors said she thinks I should go on medication. I have been monitering it at home and it is nearly always low. I think its white coat syndrome. My doctor told me if its constantly high for 8 hours then you need medication!!!!!!!!!

I think my doctor always send me in atiz, as she frightens me (another story)

I have a moniter at home but I have recently purchased another one and I am going to see if teh readings differ.

I am constantly taking readings which makes my anxiety worse as it goes up when i go out.

I ahve not taken my medication yet as I want to see whats its like over the next few weeks.

I am currently on antenolol for anxiety and palapations, which can also lower blood pressure. I am going to take them daily instaed of as and awhen to see if it comes down.

Hope this helps? PM me if you want more info.

Sharona

margaret jones
08-01-10, 13:29
I have a Bp machine at home and was always getting different readings sometimes within 30 mins My GP informed me that our BP can change every 10mins Was also given meds Ramiparil after a visit to GP and high reading Felt really bad odd feeling all weekend Panic and anxiety increased , back to Gp stopped meds and arranged for 24hr monitor reading . After revisit to gp no meds needed only 1 high reading if anything to low at times in the early morn , Now i do not get my machine out at all suffer white coat syndrome so if poss avoid BP checks
Hope you get sorted asap take care margaret

twhitetina
08-01-10, 15:15
hey everyone,

I had a bad panic attack the other night and I usually have low bp and it read 160/99 and hr was 135, yikes!!! I was so scared. They say panic cant' hurt ya but that made me wonder.

Tina

Acidomoduso
08-01-10, 17:53
Hi

I have recently been checked for high blood pressure as in the doctors it was 150/80 and 140/70 so my doctors said she thinks I should go on medication. I have been monitering it at home and it is nearly always low. I think its white coat syndrome. My doctor told me if its constantly high for 8 hours then you need medication!!!!!!!!!

I think my doctor always send me in atiz, as she frightens me (another story)

I have a moniter at home but I have recently purchased another one and I am going to see if teh readings differ.

I am constantly taking readings which makes my anxiety worse as it goes up when i go out.

I ahve not taken my medication yet as I want to see whats its like over the next few weeks.

I am currently on antenolol for anxiety and palapations, which can also lower blood pressure. I am going to take them daily instaed of as and awhen to see if it comes down.

Hope this helps? PM me if you want more info.

Sharona

Your readings are a little high... the second figure is the important one, though, as this is your "resting heart beat". The first figure is your "contracting heart beat". Anything over 90 on the second figure is classed as high; anything over 140 on the first is classed as high. They should put you on a 24 hour monitor before putting you on medication.

hey everyone,

I had a bad panic attack the other night and I usually have low bp and it read 160/99 and hr was 135, yikes!!! I was so scared. They say panic cant' hurt ya but that made me wonder.

Tina

My worst reading was 190/180 in the grip of a panic attack. They put me on an ECG and my heart was completely fine! I'm sure you will be fine. I have been on medication since i was 32-33 (i'm 39 next month) and my BP sits at 140 to 150/80 to 90.

twhitetina
08-01-10, 20:14
wow thanks that makes me feel better.

twhitetina
09-01-10, 22:21
yeah it's definitely just during an attack cause usually my blood pressure is fine. To know yours went that high during an attack makes me feel like I'm not the only one and maybe that's normal during a PA, thank you!!!

Acidomoduso
10-01-10, 01:05
That's OK. That's what we're all here for. If someone has experience of your symptoms and can pass on information then it's all good! It is absolutely normal for your BP to raise during an attack. Unfortunately i also have a hereditary High BP so i'll be on meds for life for that (both my Dad and my Gran on my Mum's side have or had high blood pressure). My gran once had a reading of 280/230 (!!) just before an operation and the doctor refused to operate. She had to reduce her BP before they would put her under!

I've been having a bad couple of weeks myself so i'll get round to posting a thread soon. I hate sounding self indulgent though! :blush:

Glad you feel better, anyway. :)

sharona
14-01-10, 07:09
Hi all

Thank you for the info.

I am going to ask the doctor can I have a 24 hour moniter, that way they can then tell if I need meds.

Thank you

Sharona