PDA

View Full Version : First time here

floramac
21-12-09, 11:05
Hi everyone
I hope this is the right place to just say Hi and introduce myself and a little bit about me.....I'm really glad to have stumbled across this website.

I was Googling Propanolol and found nomorepanic in the search results...so here I am.

Apologies in advance if spelling looks dodgy but I'm having problems with the lousy keyboard on my laptop and the errors dont always get picked up on a spell check. It's mostly the letter 's' that wont display so orry in advance ;-)

Right well I'm in my 50's and have been suffering panic attacks since my mid twenty's but didn't know what they were back then and was too embarrassed to talk about them to anyone. My lovely old GP (sadly passed on now) gave me valium and I have to say I had no problems with them at all - never became addicted to them and only used them (and still do now and again) when I absolutley have to. There wasn't much else available at that time as Beta Blockers and so forth were not used for anxiety or panic disorder.They do however make me very tired and upset my tummy a bit (see later ref to lactose problem) but in an emergency they are my only relief.

I have a list as long as your arm of drugs they have prescribed for me over the years and I reacted badly to all of them. I was diagnosed lactose intolerant 11 years ago and this explained a lot. I got severe diarrhoea and stomach cramps with the medication and now realise it was the lactose in the pills. It's almost impossible to find one that doesn't contain it.
I am also hyper sensitive to most medications and they give me weird dreams even hallucinations and nausea etc etc. I can't even take things like Mucron for sinusitis as it is like tripping out (I imagine...never taken illegal drugs so wouldn't really know) but you just have no feeling of reality and it is very scary....so you see I am not an easy patient to treat as the Doctors at my practice just love to dish out prescriptions and send you on your way.

I eventually managed to get onto the NHS list for CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and was incredibly lucky to get referred to a young chap who I just clicked with straight away...much to my surprise. Surprised? well he was so young that I just didn't think he would be able to help me but he did...eventually. It took time and I used to see him at least twice a month for nearly 18 months. I am a lot better and it was really well worth it for me. The dreadful panic attacks still happen but mostly I can now control them. I have become agorahobic because of the panic problems but gradually I am getting out more and more. I know I have a really stressful time coming up for me in the New Year and I was thinking of trying the Propanolol to help me combat the distressing physical side effects of the panic attacks the shaking, diarrhoea and inability to go out as I will need to be strong and there for someone close to me if they need my help.

Sorry I have wittered on for so long...it's a bit like a release coming on here isn't it?

nomorepanic
21-12-09, 11:10
Hi floramac

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

kerrylee
21-12-09, 11:33
hi my name is kerry and i have health anxiety although half the time i dont believe it. im constantly scarde and depressed all the time and made endless trips to the docters and hospitals its awufull and feel like no one can help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

unspoken
21-12-09, 11:58
Hi, I think you'll find this forum useful.

Being intolerant to lactose must be really difficult. I am intolerant to sweeteners ending in 'tol' - sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol etc. and mannitol in particular seems to be a common ingredient of medications. I was put on Citalopram and straight away it gave me stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhoea, but I've been taking Sertraline for 4 days and no problems, I think because it doesn't contain mannitol.

I'm also interested to read that you were helped by CBT. I've just got myself referred for CBT in the hope it will help me to deal with general anxiety.

weeloulou
21-12-09, 12:56
Welcome... I too am a newbie.. u will feel at home here as i do.. the ppl are so supportive and welcoming x

loux