PDA

View Full Version : Can you take Propanolol only when you need it?

floramac
21-12-09, 12:20
Hi
Can I ask anyone who is a regular user of Propanolol the following questions please?

Does it work quickly to help calm you if a panic attack has started?
i.e. will it calm your stomach enough to stop the rapid bowel evacuation that occurs when the adrenaline goes rushing around your system.

If you know in advance you are going to get panicky - can you take them the night before the event or should it be a day or two to keep you calm prior to it.

Do they keep you awake at night?

Does anyone know of a version of Propanolol that doesn't have lactose as an ingredient?

Thanks for any help
Flora

mandyclare
21-12-09, 12:25
Hi Flora

Im on propranolol but ive been told to take my medication regularly. I dont think it would be an instant help in a panic attack to be honest. I believe it really takes a word or so to kick in.

Not sure about the version without lactose.. maybe ask in the chemist as they would know.

Im sure there are medications that are more instant fixes during an attack and hopefully your dr will find the right one for you.

take care
mand x

darrenc
21-12-09, 13:37
I tried taking one during a panic attack and it didn't work; but then I don't think it worked for me full stop, just made me more anxious as it affected my breathing (I used to have asthma as a child).

Apparently you can take it a couple of hours before a stressful event and it can help. Actors and performers sometimes take it to help with stage fright. The leaflet with my prescription explained the dose and when to take it for this, but as always check with your doctor.

Hope that helps.

Darren.

KK77
21-12-09, 14:20
You can take it as and when needed for things like "performance anxiety" but I think you're supposed to take it regularly to prevent attacks from happening if you suffer from chronic panic/anxiety.

sarah jayne
21-12-09, 16:47
I was prescribed this last week and my doctor told me just to take it whenever i need it. I havent taken any yet as im always scared of taking new medications cause i always seem to have all the bad side effects ...

valleybear
21-12-09, 21:34
I take it on a regular basis to prevent anxiety attacks. Sometimes I still have a full blown panic and for this the Dr has given me emergency Valium......only a few tablets and a low dosage but at least I know I have them and sometimes this is enough to ease the panic. Can't say I notice any side effects from Propanalol although I have sleeping problems anyway but can't say they are caused by the tablets.X

kevashm
11-01-13, 16:58
I was prescribed propanolol yesterday to go alongside my Escitalopram 20mg and I only had 10mg but it made me feel majorly nauseous now i'm not sure whether its worth taking it or not

ricardo
11-01-13, 17:10
Everyone reacts differently to the same drug and sometimes the cocktail of drugs that we take.

If you suffer from asthma you shouldn't take it.

I take it for two reasons.One to regulate my BP which it does and also for anxiety, which in my case doesn't help much. To the best of my knowledge it will slow the heart rate down but that also depends on the degree of anxiety each individual has.

Valium though addictive will definitely reduce the chance of panic attacks and can be taken as needed whilst propanolol should be taken over a specific period of time as prescribed by the doctor.

Hope that helps.

Mark13
11-01-13, 23:13
I take propranolol as and when (since last week, but I've had it before, 20 years ago) and found it helpful for slowing the heart-rate.

It works for me before encountering a stressful situation, such as speaking in public or an important meeting.

For GAD I believe it's best taken 3 times a day (that's what my prescription said, although I told my GP I wanted to take it only as needed).

As for treating a full-blown panic attack I can't really see it helping whatsoever, but happy to be corrected :winks:

Brandy1970
16-10-13, 18:14
Hi everyone I have started taking propranol due to bad panic attacks it does slow everything down can someone tell me how the tablet actually works xxxx::welcome: