PDA

View Full Version : First time poster

Rosie82
21-12-09, 14:45
Hello, I am a 42 year old, who has, for the last 6 months, suffered with a feeling of a lump in the throat, oesophageal spasms and what feels like acid reflux. I am currently struggling with it, considerably. Can't help feeling it is never going to settle. Has anyone experienced reflux/spasms that has settled?

diane07
21-12-09, 14:49
Hi Rosie82

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

unspoken
21-12-09, 15:21
Hi, welcome. I have gastro-whatever acid reflux (sorry, can't even attempt to spell it today) and it is sort of controlled by lansoprazole but I am finding I have to take more of it. Lately I've also found I have a feeling like a lump in my throat which makes it hard to swallow, particularly food that's dry. Try more liquid kind of foods, eating small amounts but more often, and eating cooked apples. Are you on any medication for it?

Rosie82
21-12-09, 18:11
Thank you all. Yes unspoken, I am on medication for it. Omeprazole 20mg once a day and domperidone (anti sickness) they don’t seem to do a lot. My doctor seems to think that it is all anxiety induced and will settle. However, I can’t help thinking that six months is a long time to have this problem, my doctor says not. I initially was on omeprazole 40mg daily for 6 weeks, which didn’t seem to help much, when I stopped taking them it was just as bad, so my GP referred me for an endoscopy, which came back normal apart from 2 very minor areas of reflux change, nothing I am told to worry about – not worth mentioning. I also have been diagnosed with oesophageal spasms (linked to IBS apparently, something that I have suffered with in the past too), I don’t know if the sensations I am getting are due to the spasms or reflux, I am not really sure I have a reflux problem. If I am to believe the endoscopy results I don’t, although it certainly feels like it – I think –although I have never really been troubled by acid/indigestion at all, before this started so I may be mistaking the symptoms. After the endoscopy I had a period of time where I could control the symptoms with over the counter antacids, then it got to the point whereby I didn’t even need those. The ‘acid’ feeling subsided, although I was still left with the sensation of something in my throat after eating, but I could cope with that. Slowly however it got worse again, the acid feeling returned and the lump became more noticeable. Back to the doctor, back on medication (which I have a real aversion to meds, don’t know why just hate taking them) so my anxiety levels are at an all time high – worrying that I never get over this. All I want is for someone to say to me that they have had the same and now it has subsided or even gone away, I am sure my anxiety levels will drop if I could just hear this. I am having CBT, which hasn’t helped yet, still it is early days! My husband says that I won’t find anyone who has got over it on the net because the last thing they will do when they are better is go online and announce it, I can see the logic in that! So, anyone know anyone who has got over a similar thing? Sorry to go on so much!

Maj
21-12-09, 18:37
Hello Rosie,

Well although acid reflux can travel to the throat there is also an anxiety symptom which is a feeling of a lump in the throat, which Claire Weekes mentions in her books. I had this symptom myself many years ago and it went away eventually when I stopped worrying about it. Anxiety causes such a vast amount of symptoms, each one unique to different people. Maybe in your case it's this. The fact that you say you feel very anxious makes it quite probable - it doesn't always have to be related to a medical problem! If you have read any of Claire's books you will see she describes probably every symptom perfectly!! It can almost be as though she's written the book for you!! Even reading it can bring some instant relief to know that you're not alone. It'll probably disappear when you relax.
Myra:hugs:

Rosie82
21-12-09, 18:50
Thank you Myra, I haven't read any of Claire's books but i will look her up. You are right when i relax, which is rare! it does seem easier, I will have to practise some relaxation exercises.