PDA

View Full Version : For everyone suffering from Health Anxiety :)

Charli_sqiggle
21-12-09, 16:00
Hi everyone :)

I just thought I'd tell you a bit about what I went through last year, and how things are SO much better for me now.
Basically I convinced myself I had a brain tumour, I was getting head -aches, blurry vision, panic attacks, palpatations, I wasnt sleeping, I cried every day and convinced I would be dead within a year. I saw numerous doctors, was put on propanolol and eventually I was referred to the hospital, where I had numerous tests, brain scans, ECGs, eye tests ect. which to my surprise confirmed I was in perfect health. The anxiety lifted gradually and I have completely changed as a person, i'm quite frightened when i look back at what I was like, and what I put my family through. I am now calmer when presented with symptoms such as headaches and any pain. I would recommend councilling, this really helped me realise where my fear came from and how to combat it.
I still occasionally worry about things of course, I think my main reason for my break down was actually a fear of death, but i have accepted this now and I try to live my life to the full :). The purpose of this story was to provide hope for people who feel stuck with their anxiety, i know it may seem hard now but i promise you will come out of it a better and stronger person. Lastly, avoid googling at ALL COSTS, makes things 50 times worse!!
Good luck guys. :)

ames6767
21-12-09, 16:03
thanks for that, it gives me hope when I see that you can move forward. well done! x

Jimpy
21-12-09, 17:11
Thanks for that, great to hear that light is at the end of the tunnel. I have blood tests and an appointment with a cardiologist coming up, hopefully things will be ok and my anxiety will also start to lift. I love uplifting posts!

kerrylee
22-12-09, 11:09
my story is simular but i havnt got better yet please help

cascade70
22-12-09, 11:52
After a few sessions of CBT i am starting to feel somewhat better. My HA was related to feelings that i was going to have a heart attack due to constant chest pains, after a night in A&E i was told that i was in normal health and i felt ok for a while but the thought of being in hospital caused me so much distress that my anxiety over a period of months went through the roof especially when i started to google my symptoms.

at this moment i feel discomfort in my chest but know that it will pass where as yesterday i was fine, good days and bad.

Charli_sqiggle
23-12-09, 20:00
Hi again, hope all is well.
My doctors all said to, you would know if something is really wrong with your body, my symptoms were brought on by stress and then the anxiety about my stress made them worse. Dont be ashamed about your feelings, GPs are more than happy to help and reassure, I found mine so calming and helpful. Sometimes as well, just taking a deep breath, doing something you like really helps. I dont know what changed but after my hospital experience its like that part of me left, and i woke up a new person. Go to your GPs and talk to as many people as possible, and eventually you will be out of this hell. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me :)
Merry Christmas!

sarah jayne
23-12-09, 20:57
Im really happy for you, i hope one day i'll have a success story like yours ! x

Charli_sqiggle
23-12-09, 21:02
Im really happy for you, i hope one day i'll have a success story like yours ! x

You will, you just have to believe you will! i know it feels like you'll never come out of it, but you will!!

best of luck

Carley
23-12-09, 21:10
Well done, its positive feedback in a good way, the more you celebrate your victory the stronger you will become xxx

rpespiritu
24-12-09, 06:47
good to hear that.