PDA

View Full Version : Reassurance about your palpitations

skippy66
22-12-09, 22:10
"Skipping, thumping or racing hearts are a worry I hear a lot about. Nearly every day someone tells me their heart is missing beats, quickening alarmingly or causing a nasty fluttering in their chests. They lie awake at night listening to the shooshing sound of their pulse in their ears or buffeted by the gentle rocking motion case by their beating heart.

Many of them are convinced they're about to suffer a serious heart attack. Some of them think they are never going to wake up. But heart "palpitations" are extremely common and usually harmless. I have more than 7000 extra heartbeats every day and can even show you the ECG trace to prove it. The funny thing is, the more you worry about them, the worse they get.

Worry leads to the release of stress hormones like adrenaline and these have a powerful stimulatory effect on the heart muscle making it buck and jump like crazy.

When you're busy or exercising that's fine. Your blood pressure needs to go up when you are exercising and most people never even notice palpitaions when they are busy.

But when you are sitting idle or lying in bed at night unable to sleep, adrenaline can cause dramatic "heart in the mouth" disturbances in rhythm. Usually these palpitations are triggered by anxiety or stimulants such as nicotine, alcohol or caffeine. Most people will suffer from palpitations at some stage in their lives.

They are the reason for between 30 and 40% of all referrals to heart clinics - where cardiologists try to find out if they are due to any serious underlying problem.

Most folk can be reassured by a brief chat, a quick examination and an ECG recording of the heartbeat.

Others might need thyroid and other blood tests or an echocardiogram to detect structural heart disease. Or they may have an ECG taken over a 24 hour period analysed by computer.

But most palpitaions are pefectly normal. So take heart - and stop worrying"

Dr Hilary Jones, GMTV Doctor

Panickypants
22-12-09, 22:46
Wow that was so good to read thanks x

DavidJ85
23-12-09, 10:16
A very good read! My heart has been jumping around daily this week driving me crazy and making me panic!

kirstielu
12-01-10, 14:26
I experianced this last night and it felt like they were not going to stop ,i have had them before but only a couple at a time ,this was dud dud dud dud dud dud dud dud dud really fast ,felt them move from my chest to my throat horrible .

agnesolden
13-01-10, 00:22
Strangely enough I have experienced palpitations lately, it really scares me, and the last time was quite a few years ago, when it ws so bad I had the 2 hour monitor strapped to me and the result was clear no problem found, you have made me wonder if the chocolate I have stuffed over the last few weeks may be causing this ! agnes
Thanks for the reassurance Hilary

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

emma09
18-01-10, 15:00
is this realy dr hiliary joneS? I doubt that very much but thanks for the info very reassuring :yesyes:

skippy66
22-01-10, 08:51
No I'm not hilary but the quote is from him. I nicked this from another forum

Maj
22-01-10, 08:53
Thanks Skippy, it will be very reassuring for people suffering from palpitations to know that they're not dangerous.
Myra:hugs:

chanipirate
02-02-10, 14:55
this was good to read. it's scary when it happens still, it feels like my heart stops then suddenly thuds in my throat if that makes sense...?
and with suffering from panic attacks and anxiety its even worse =[

ames6767
02-02-10, 16:53
this is really good reading for a scared palps sufferer like me. thanks a lot skippy xx

looking4answers
02-02-10, 22:01
Very nice informative post..Thank you

pollyanna
03-02-10, 16:36
Thanks skippy, had read this the other day and remembered it, needed to look at it again today for reassurance( even although i know its ok, and have had this problem for about 18 years ) had a bad attack today in a room full of people, probably nothing worse that i have experienced before, but has really shaken me up, and the doubts were starting to creep in... when oh when will i get it through my head, that they are a pain in the a**, but harmless...:doh:, but you always think, that this time it will be different dont you.. i have ignored the facts, such as the room was too warm, i havent slept well for 2 days, my dog is ill, i am stressed...... when will i learn...

kestral
03-02-10, 21:04
Thanks skippy, had read this the other day and remembered it, needed to look at it again today for reassurance( even although i know its ok, and have had this problem for about 18 years ) had a bad attack today in a room full of people, probably nothing worse that i have experienced before, but has really shaken me up, and the doubts were starting to creep in... when oh when will i get it through my head, that they are a pain in the a**, but harmless...:doh:, but you always think, that this time it will be different dont you.. i have ignored the facts, such as the room was too warm, i havent slept well for 2 days, my dog is ill, i am stressed...... when will i learn...

i can totally agree with your comments pollyanna, i react in exactly the same way.

pollyanna
03-02-10, 23:22
kestral, i think sometimes it helps just to simply know that we are not alone ...:)

the_eldergeek
08-02-10, 19:57
Hi Skippy, which other forum did you get it from, out of interest? I'd like to try and read it in full context myself.

So true though, and as a palp 'sufferer' myself, it was more than helpful to read.