PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please.

mothermac
23-12-09, 03:27
Hi everyone,I suffer from anxiety which is why I use this marvellous site,but I need some advice as one of my friends is showing some unsettling symptoms and I don't know what is wrong.She is middle aged and lives with her husband near to me,her children are grown up now and she is retired.She will not go out on her own without her husband at all,if he goes out she has to have somebody from the family come and sit with her.She is constantly worried about her health and is convinced there is something wrong with her,she was diagnosed with gallstones a few months ago but has complained ever since that she thinks it is much more serious than that.She doesn't have her children to visit very often and moans to me that she finds their vist's stressful and cannot wait until they are gone.She said the other day she had no interest in christmas and looks a shadow of her former self.This has been going on for about2 years now and her husband isn't helping her as he just goes along with her wishes and hasn't a life of his own.My husband said that he knows I suffer from anxiety and said that if I acted like her he would have got me some treatment instead of just letting her control everything just so her needs are met all the time.If she wants anything doing her poor husband has to do it and I mean everything from the gardening to the shopping he does it.When they moved in she was normal and I have seen this gradual deteriation of spirit in her.Sorry for this long post but she keeps asking me to look up symptoms of gallbladder disease on the internet for her but I am inclined to think she needs some sort of mental help more.She visably shakes when talking to you and is near to tears over the slightest thing but her husband thinks everything is fine.Anyway sorry again for boring folk but I really need some advice on what she could be suffering from.I don't know what advice I could give her as she may take it the wrong way but it's a shame she is living this way and dragging her husband with her.

Carley
23-12-09, 09:05
Wow that a difficult one. How about just printing off a list of possible symptoms with no title and asking her to read it?? (Wikipedia does a simple list) If she says she doesnt then u can explain that you thought she may have been suffering from stress. If she does then you may be able to explain that you get them too. Take with you some other information so that u have it there for her to show her it can be eased. If this doesn't work at all then plz come back to me and I will try to think of something else. Goodluck xxx