PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Bit of Support Tonight Please

Corinne
26-12-09, 00:50
Well, I had a beautiful Christmas with the whole family here. Everything went wonderfully. I had no panic or shakes. The only thing I experienced was about three bouts of feeling exhausted. Plus, I've had a headache for the past two days. I sat down and felt better after about twenty minutes (from the exhaustion0. Now that everyone is gone, I feel lonely and weepy. I am such a baby and I hate being like this. I'm so ashamed.

HOWEVER, tonight I am starting my Zoloft and I'm scared to death. Meds work on me tenfold as they do on normal people. I wake up every morning around six with terrible internal vibrations. After I get up, I have to take my Synthroid, wait an hour, eat something real quick and take my Ativan. It takes me about three hours to "even out."

As I am alone, the fear of taking the Zoloft is causing some panic. I am thinking about all the "what ifs." I am trying to tell myself that it's a low dose and I should be fine, but it's not working.

Going home
26-12-09, 01:08
Hi Corinne,
Its around 12.50am here but I couldn't sleep so thought i'd reply to you, not sure if it will help though, but i understand your anxiety about the meds. I think new meds always make us worry, but assuming that your doc knows how you react to meds anyway, he/she wouldn't give you anything you couldn't cope with. They've been pescribed for a reason remember, and I know they don't always get it right, but thats because we all have a different system and our systems react differently to any meds, even the 'meds anyone can buy from a drug store.

For example, i'm not good with strong painkillers, they space me out and make me feel very weird, whereas a friend of mine can take the strongest of them and still operate quite normally. Ive been taking propanolol (a betablocker) for a while now and they did upset my system to start with but have settled down now and seem to be working for me.

Obviously i'd rather not be taking anything at all and this is not entirely without problems because not only do they slow my heart rate, which is great for my anxiety and migraines, but they also slow my whole system down which has resulted in weight gain. So we sometimes have to accept the negative to get the positive...I guess that's the 'ying and yang' of life.

Try to think of the reasons you've been given these meds, are they good reasons? Do you trust your doc? If so, take a deep breath and take them. Any possible side effects that you might get will only be temporary i'm sure, if you get any at all. And i'm sure there'll be lots of people here who will associate with you on this and advise you and get you through it.

You're wrong when you say you're alone, because being a member here means you're no longer are.

Take care, oh and merry christmas.

Going home xx

Corinne
26-12-09, 01:16
Thank you so much! Everything you said is so reasonable. I just wish my silly mind would calm down and expect the best instead of the worst.

I keep forgetting the time difference between our countries! I love it that different countries are represented on this forum and all are welcome. Thank you also for reminding me that because I am a member of this forum, I am no longer alone. I told my older daughter that I joined and she was thrilled. She knows that nothing can bring comfort better than speaking with others who are going through the same things I am going through.

Thank you again!

Going home
26-12-09, 01:31
No problems Corinne, and yes because of the time difference alot of members will be in bed now, but looking at who is online right now there seems to be a few members around (minus me in about 10 mintues though i have to say) and you'll probably find more replies tomorrow...when you're in bed :D

We're all on the same path and far from being weak, you are stronger than you realise. Catch up with you soon.

Going home :) xx

Adelle
26-12-09, 03:43
Hi, I am currently on Zoloft. I had those internal vibrations for a couple of weeks but its all passed now. Its helping my HA alot but Im still on this site so I guess its not 100%. Dont worry. Youll be fine. Happy new year.x

Maj
26-12-09, 09:13
Hello Corinne,

A few years ago I took Lustral, also known as Zoloft, and I was terrified to take them!! I couldn't believe that I was actually going to be taking an antidepressant!! But they were absolutely wonderful for me, with virtually no side effects, maybe a vague headache. It took less than 2 weeks for them to take effect and I remember waking up one morning thinking "why was I so anxious, what was all that about!!" They were obviously the thing that my body definitely needed at that time to get better. I hope it's the same for you.
Love
Myra:hugs:

Corinne
26-12-09, 15:08
Hi, I am currently on Zoloft. I had those internal vibrations for a couple of weeks but its all passed now. Its helping my HA alot but Im still on this site so I guess its not 100%. Dont worry. Youll be fine. Happy new year.x

Hi, Adelle,
Thank you for responding! Did you have the internal vibrations before or after you began the Zoloft? I have had them for a few weeks now. My doctor thinks it's anxiety and depression. That's why she put me on the Zoloft. Of course she knows what a wreck I can be. She didn't tell me the reason for all the tests she ordered. Naturally, I looked them all up online and scared myself half to death.

I'm happy that the Zoloft is helping you. I hope it does the same for me! Right now, I fell a little "out of it," but I'm always like that in the mornings.

Have a good day!

Corinne
26-12-09, 15:14
Hello Corinne,

A few years ago I took Lustral, also known as Zoloft, and I was terrified to take them!! I couldn't believe that I was actually going to be taking an antidepressant!! But they were absolutely wonderful for me, with virtually no side effects, maybe a vague headache. It took less than 2 weeks for them to take effect and I remember waking up one morning thinking "why was I so anxious, what was all that about!!" They were obviously the thing that my body definitely needed at that time to get better. I hope it's the same for you.
Love

Your story gives me hope! I'm such a big old baby that I only took half the tablet. I don't imagine it will do much good as the tablets are only 25mg. I am just trying to get my body used to the medication a bit at a time. I think I'll take the half tablet for a week or two and then take the whole thing. Hopefully, I'll have a success story to post instead of all this complaining!

I have had a headache for three days. This morning it's worse. I don't know if it's connected or not. I'm trying not to think about it.

Thank you for the encouragement -- everyone! You're all so nice here!

BornWorrier
26-12-09, 15:42
You're not a "big old baby" in the slightest. I read somewhere that HA tends to affect intelligent people - so there ya go!

I think it was very sensible of you to take half a tablet. Now you know that your body isn't going to do anything sinister in reaction, perhaps taking the full dose will be easier when you feel ready.

I can completely relate to the "vibrations" you feel - I get them too - especially when I lay on my front in bed. I suspect it's anxiety/tension based, so your best chance of getting rid of them is, ironically, to take the Zoloft.

Anyway - hope you're feeling better and calmer today :)

Corinne
26-12-09, 16:01
Thank you, BornWorrier! I needed to be validated about only taking the half pill -- even though I don't expect it to do any good until I get enough of it in my body. I did wake up at six AM and I "think" I was vibrating, but I can't remember! I was able to fall back to sleep again too, which usually doesn't happen for a while.

I don't know how this works in other countries, but here, when we get a prescription, we get an information pamphlet about the drug. After reading it, I almost had a breakdown! How can I put this into my body??!!

Anyhow, I'll see how this goes. Again, thank you!

unspoken
26-12-09, 19:45
I just typed a reply but then my wireless connection died when I tried to post it :mad:

Remember that the side effects listed in the leaflet are everything that anyone's reported back to them. I find myself reading the list and imagining myself suffering from every single one at once. This will not be the case! Most people take these drugs fine with no troublesome side effects. If you think about the possibility of nausea and appetite loss, I think it's likely you'll feel sick and unable to eat. That's anxiety for you.

There's lots of support on this site and people can advise you based on their personal experiences of medications. I have been taking Zoloft (Sertraline) for 9 days now and haven't noticed any adverse effects from it :)

Corinne
26-12-09, 20:27
Hi, Unspoken,
I don't know whether it's the stress of Christmas being lifted or the miniscule amount of Zoloft I took, but I do feel better today. I won't say I'm perfect -- I don't EVER remember being perfect.:D However, I'm much less anxious than I have been in two months. Now if this headache would just go away....................:)

In my rational mind, I know that they have to list every side effect any one person experienced; however, in my nervous mind I imagine that I will experience most -- if not all -- of them and end up dying. What dosage of Zoloft are you on? Forgive me if you already posted it. I can't remember. I'm old, blonde and nervous. Not a good combination!

Thank you so much for all the support. I wish I had found this forum a long time ago.

Maj
26-12-09, 22:58
Hi Corinne, I was on lowest doge of sertaline and it worked really quickly for me, as I said on my previous post within two weeks I felt a massive difference. So it could make a slight difference to you quickly. Also, if we were to read the side effects of antidepressants there's no way we'd take them!! Most people I know had very few side effects with their antidepressants and felt more benefit than anything else. I took a different med not so long ago but it wasn't for me as I felt awful. You've done the right thing. (p.s.I'm old, blonde and nervous too!!!)

Corinne
26-12-09, 23:15
Ah! Another old, nervous blonde! Glad to see I'm in good company!

I'm not nervous to take the pill tonight. After taking it last night, I had a mini panic attack, but got over it. It's a bit after six PM here, and I have felt decent all day. I have plans to go up to my daughter's tomorrow. I hope I feel this good so I can carry out my plan!

Thanks for the continued support! We old nervous blondes have to stick together!:D

Corinne
27-12-09, 17:08
Update:

As I said, I took the first pill Christmas night. Got up yesterday and felt great! I had a wonderful day. I gladly took the pill again last night. I woke up about six AM with the body vibrations but fell back to sleep.

When I got up, I had an awful dry mouth, nausea, dizziness and a general feeling of being fuzzy headed.

**sigh** When will this end? I was so full of hope yesterday.