PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram effects wearing off

Roseraven
26-12-09, 23:12
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with citalopram.
I started taking it about 9 months ago and at first it didn't seem to have much effect (other than making me feel really ill the first couple of days). After about 2 months on it I started to feel the benefits enormously. Felt like a new person - confident, full of enthusiasm for everything, my depression and social phobia a thing of the past.
What I've been finding is that after a while the effects seem to wear off. I will then increase the dose, and within a couple of weeks feel fine again. I went gradually up to 40mg and when I started feeling down again decided that it was foolish to keep increasing the dose indefinitely. So I'm gradually coming off it, (now at 20mg/day) with the intention of starting the whole process over.
Anybody experience anything like this?

smudger
26-12-09, 23:19
Exactly how I experienced citalopram. Went up to 40mg eventually. Its just not working for me anymore. Dont know why but when it worked fab, now it doesnt. I suggest you go back to docs. You need some consistency or at least longer bouts of it in your life n it sounds like this drug is putting you on a rollercoaster. Good luck!x

Danath
26-12-09, 23:24
Kinda happened to me on fluoxetine, which is the same class of druge, but on hindsight I had started to let myself slip anyway, by allowing a lot of stress to enter my life and by drinking more frequently too, boith of which can work against the antidepressants, its kinda hard to say without knowing whats going on in your life to be honest friend. (thats not an attempt to pry by the way)

Dan