PDA

View Full Version : Derealization for split seconds...is this what it is?

Semz
27-12-09, 04:26
Hey everyone. It would be a huge load off if someone could tell me if this is derealization or if they've had it before. I get the same feelings every one describe about dr, the weird dreamy, unconscious feelling. My mind almost feels numb and I feel like another person or like my body and mind are unconnected.

But the thing is I get these feelings in split seconds at a time, that's all the longer it seems to last. I feel fine one minute and nonexistent the next. Is this indeed derealization caused by anxiety? The people I ask have only had it constantly. Anyone get this for quick seconds at a time?

Thankssoo much!

eeyorelover
27-12-09, 04:51
I was looking in the mirror once and had this split second feeling that it wasn't me looking back!
Very odd feeling to say the least.
I have had bouts of depersonalization where nothing seems quite real to me. Like I'm walking around in a dream that I am going to wake up from. That is the only way I can describe it.
It doesn't have to last long. At least I have had these feelings that come on like a flash and leave just as quickly. It always leaves me wondering where did that come from??!
Just know you aren't alone in feeling this way.
xxx
Sandy

Semz
27-12-09, 14:24
Thanks a lot Sandy. That's all I needed to at least feel a little less alone.

SarahP
28-12-09, 12:22
I think the thing to remember is that an 'weird' symptoms like this are all caused by anxiety. From my own experience and from reading a lot on the subject, there's any number of odd things that anxiety-sufferers feel, and because we're already so sensitised they seem a lot worse than they might to other people. My advice is to try and accept all kinds of weird feelings as just your mind processing all the strain it's been under, and don't add too much more to it - I bet it's tired enough!!

Hope you feel better soon :)

barbn
28-12-09, 13:52
I am having such a "bad" day today...and usually when these "bad" days happen I get this depersonalization - I don't know if it your minds way of coping with everything or what. I do know that it is a symptom of anxiety and it is very strange! It is kind of like you loose who you are for a moment...I am going through this right now. I think Sarah had some good advice - we need to accept the fact that this is an anxiety symptom and try to work through it. I know it is hard sometimes...its amazing what the mind can do!

sophia_x
29-12-09, 22:34
i get this alot!! was just explaining it to my friend actually:huh:

it seems i get it completly out the blue just for a split second like you said. My therapist says that deep down i must be anxious and it just 'pops up?'

iv had it about 4 times today....:shrug:

Wee-Mee
29-12-09, 22:36
It does sound abit like it love yeah. i havwe had the mirror experience also,like i just like dont feel like me.
i get kinda numb and lightheaded and my body can feel heavy like it doesnt belong to me.and it can last from a minute to about ten or sometimes im out of it for a few hours but not as severe xx you're not alone love.sorry for the typing.my hands are shaky!

Slothette
29-12-09, 22:46
Yeah I get this all the time....its makes me want to shake my head so reality comes back...lol. I used to get derealization for months at a time so now I'm glad I get it only for a split second a few times nearly every day.

Semz
30-12-09, 02:42
Thanks soo much everyone! I'm glad there's some people out there that actually understand where I'm coming from. It's so tough when it ruins you life and nobody understands (as much as they THINK they do!) today I had it worse. I had 2 anxiety attacks yesterday and 1 this morning when I woke up. Then I got my period, so that's probably why it was acting up! (relief.)

xxlisaxx08
30-12-09, 02:48
Yea it's really common in anxiety. I think it's something to do with the 'flight or flight' response where your body tries to block everything out in order to locate the dangerous situation x