PDA

View Full Version : Speech worries

Optimist
27-12-09, 22:07
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to ask a question that I think was answered somewhere else, but I can't find it.

I fear I am having problems with my speech and of course as I worry about it more, it seems to be more affected. Sometimes the wrong words come out, and sometimes I stumble on the words I want to say and sometimes I fear I am slurring slightly...

I thought I was making good progress, and have learned to ignore the muscle twitches recently (a neurologist, my gp and a physio told me I am fine!), but now I am worried about my speech and again fear something is wrong.

This HA is hard-going isn't it???

Best wishes to all.

Optimist x

Sammy J
27-12-09, 22:18
I get this too, just this evening I was reading my little girl a bedtime story and kept getting words wrong.. very frustrating.

I'm suffering abit this evening with my anxiety and that is what causes mine, on my 'good days' I'm fine and sail through the stories but on a 'bad day' I stumble over words, purposely try and make the stories shorter and read them virtually monotone, which is not me at all.

We all have our weird ways with anxiety and just have to accept them..grrrr :)

andrea thompson
27-12-09, 22:18
hiya optimist

i feel like this sometimes. i dont know if you are male or female but i will mention this anyway. when i am due a period i get my words mixed up, cant get my words out and have blank moments, apparently this is normal. now i have noticed when i am stressed, anxious or going through a tough patch it happens also. oh and i get a twitch in my left eye. so i think it is normal and nothing to worry about. its difficult but i just reassure myself by telling myself this has happened before and it was the effects of either hormones or anxiety. please try not to dwell on these worries..

take care

andrea x x

bluebee
27-12-09, 22:20
Yes, I had this. During a panic attack I couldn't find the right words for my sentences and I kept mixing up the letters at the start of each word.

Clearly when you are stressed it effects your speech, just another anxiety symptom...don't worry. :hugs:

Optimist
27-12-09, 22:39
Thank-you all for your words of reassurance. Anxiety gets you everytime, doesn't it? There's always another symptom!

I am female (44) with young children and so your thoughts on the hormonal influence are v. interesting Andrea.

I am on meds (citalo) and wondered if that too could have an affect on my speech since my dose has just been adjusted.

Sleep well,

xx