PDA

View Full Version : flickering vision: anxiety related?

ro44
27-12-09, 22:30
I have a weird thing happen every now and then and don't know if it is from anxiety or not. I notice it a lot when I am lying down and have my eyes closed trying to relax. It's like I see this really fast flashing for just a few seconds. Almost flickering. I have had optic migraines in the past where you see the zigzag lines but that's not what this is. I have had my eyes examined recently. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this. I get all kinds of weird sensations in my head when I'm trying to relax, this one kinda scares me. I'm not sure if I am seeing it in both eyes or just one. I also had it happen this morning when I had my eyes open and was looking outside. Lasts maybe 3-5 seconds.

andrea thompson
27-12-09, 22:44
hi hon..

i have not had this for ages but i used to get it and i am sure it was caused by my anxiety.
when i was going to sleep i used to close my eyes and get black and white flashes ... i put it down to being exhausted by the anxiety ( are you tired?). also years ago i used to get a wierd sensation - i would be getting on with my day as normal and then i woud sort of lose focus and just for a second or so things would appear to flicker sort of like a black and white film (charlie chaplin sort of movie). very scary. someone i knew at the time had a son who had similar problems and it was him who described it like a film and i could relate totally. with time all of my symtoms faded. i hope this helps.

take care

andrea x x

ro44
27-12-09, 23:27
I guess I am tired. I have been getting enough sleep but I think I'm mentally tired from stress. I don't really see black and white flashes. Whatever I am seeing doesn't change colors it just almost like my vision vibrates or something. I know that doesn't make sense. It's hard to describe.

Anxious_gal
28-12-09, 00:50
it can be migraine related cause thats what i got! i get the flickering/flashing too if i go from a dark room to a bright room.

eva82
29-12-09, 00:26
Along with my headaches I have also been having some weird visual disturbances. So far I have experienced: floaters, blurry vision, seeing stars, and dull pain in the eye area. By the way, I have had loads of tests done (including a CT scan) which all came back normal. So, I would say that flickering vision can be anxiety related since I have been told by my doctors that all of my symptoms (including vision problems) are due to tension/stress/anxiety. Hope this helps!