PDA

View Full Version : Setraline (zoloft) advice/experience

xxlisaxx08
29-12-09, 20:30
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. My doctor has given me a prescription for setraline to help my with my panic attacks and agoraphobia. I'm a bit hesitant to take medication as I had a bad experience with citalopram a few years ago and haven't took anything since. The reason i'm hesitant is side effects (surprise eh?) In particular the incresed risk of feeling suicidal. Does anyone know if this risk is only if you suffer from depression already? Also looking for anyones experience with this med, good or bad on how it has helped and is it worth the side effects?

Thanks
Lisa x

Corinne
29-12-09, 20:48
Hon, I just started this med four days ago. The symptoms I have had are light headedness, a sort of off balance feeling, and slow movements.

Today, I noticed tremors of my head and hands. I have a call into my doctor to check this out.

Please look at the thread I posted called "Always Something New." You will feel much better reading the answer I got from a beautiful poster whose name I can't remember righ now! (Sorry)

Also, when I first asked for help with this med, several people said they had NO side effects. I process meds strangely. My body can't handle regular doses. I have the 25mg tabs and break them in half.

I know how scared you are to take it. I felt the same way. Give it a try. We may both b blessing it in a few weeks!
Hugs

xxlisaxx08
29-12-09, 21:10
Thanks Corrine. I've been prescribed 50mg - might need to quarter this then, ha. My doctor told me that this med is quite good for people worried about side effects as there is a less risk of experiencing them compared with other meds i'll just need to get the courage and pop one!! x

Corinne
29-12-09, 21:39
I just read a study of ADs and Zoloft and four others came out on top! That should give both of us some encouragement.

My doctor originally gave me 50mg and told me to break them in half for the first week. I am too big a baby, so I asked her for the 25mg and I break them in half. If you're really scared like I was, break them into fourths. It can't hurt and it will give you a longer time to get used to the drug.

Hugs!

unspoken
29-12-09, 23:55
I had trouble with Citalopram, it really messed up my digestive system after a couple of days and I was too scared to take it any more. My GP persuaded me to try Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg and I started taking them nearly 2 weeks ago. I've not really noticed any side effects, but I was physically and mentally in a really low place when I started taking them. Right now I am struggling to get out of bed and to find the energy to do things, but my moods have stabilised and I've stopped randomly crying. Apart from some weird dreams, I've not really noticed anything which I'd call side effects.

Do give these a go, I can understand why you're so scared, really I can. The increased risk of suicidal thoughts tends to affect younger people, usually under 25s. It isn't usally a problem but if you do get any thoughts of self harm either before or after taking the ADs, talk to someone about it and get help.

xxlisaxx08
30-12-09, 02:43
The wikipedia page for setraline says that it helps decrease panic attacks by about 80% which is really good! So I imagine that's why it would be one of the top choices. Makes me wonder why citolopram is usually prescribed first.

I wonder why i was prescribed 50mg rather than the 25mg?

That's good that your moods have stabilised unspoken definitely a step in the right direction!

I'm in the age group that are more likely to experience the suicidal thoughts - I'm 22

Also i've been asked to go back and see my doctor 2 weeks after starting them and she didn't give me a repeat prescription so it made me kind of worried that there may be a negative side effect that has to be monitored closely. I'm not sure x

Corinne
30-12-09, 04:05
My doctor originally put me on 50mg. I was the one who insisted on the 25mg.

Your doctor probably just wants to see if it is helping you after two weeks. If it is, he or she will give you more. I don't think your doctor was thinking of side effects. Please don't worry.

Just.A.Girl.x
30-12-09, 09:22
Hey Lisa,

I have been on Setraline for 2 months now...had some side effects at the beginning...only like headaches..nothing we cant cope with :)
It made my anxiety better and I started going out, as I suffer with the same as you!
In the past 2 weeks I have been on a raised dosage of 100mg so am getting some side effects again...a lot milder than before and was told that they should go any day now :)
I have had no suicidal or depressive thoughts since taking them either :)
Good luck,
Candy xx

Panic33
30-12-09, 11:47
Sertaline is supposed to be the best for side effects, but I do have say I felt awful for first 6weeks, first time in my life I understood why people would kill them selves ( I never would for my family). Side effects do go, but please be aware them MAY make you feel bad - but not everyone. You may have no side effects. :)

xxlisaxx08
07-01-10, 17:43
Thanks for the replies finally went and picked up the prescription today so i've took the first step lol just need to find the courage to start them now. Glad to hear nobody has had any horrific side effects x