PDA

View Full Version : omg help is this a proper panic attack?

liljo104
29-12-09, 23:09
Hi I have health anxiety attacks and have done for a few months now, I get that awfull feeling of dread wash over me and I cant control all the stupid things I think but tonight I go a really bad stabbing pain just infront of my ear that made me go all dizzy for a few seconds. Since then my heart has been pounding and it feels like it going to pop out off my chest, I swear I can feel it in my throat! It feels like I have run a marathon! I feel shaky, my legs feel weak. When I close my jaw I keep catching either sides of my cheeks inbetween my teeth, my shoulder aches and I feel sick. I keep having palpations (they had stopped for last week) Now is this a panic a panic attack or is there something really wrong with me? I need to calm down and Ive been for a bath but I feel worse, I keep thinking I'm going to keel over any minute and my hearts going to give up with it working overtime! I am scared to google it as this always makes me feel sooo much worse.

andrea thompson
29-12-09, 23:24
hiya hon..
dont google it... its a waste of time... take it from one who knows!!!!
a couple of weeks ago i was really bad with a panic attack. i knew it was panic but like you needed reassurance. i rang the out of hours dr and he asked me a few questions and reccomeneded i take a hot bath and a warm drink. it really did the trick. i started to calm down as soon as i had spoken to the dr.
i find when i am ike that it helps to read through the symptoms on this site.. you could even write them down.

list how you are feeling and look up those symptoms.. it really helps me..

remember when you are anxious or stressed your body releases chemicals that afect your whole body thats why you have so many symptoms.
also remeber that this is just anxiety - you have prob had panic attacks before and nothing bad has happened and nothing will happen.. you will be just fine.. accept how you are feeling and know that these feelings will eventually pass.

i hope this helps... now go look up those symptoms..

take care andrea.. x x

liljo104
29-12-09, 23:35
Hi thank you for the reassurance. I feel a little better now but my heart is still pounding is this normal as I was told a panic attack only last for a few seconds. I keep trying to take my mind off it but I cant concentrate on anything at the moment. What do u do when u have a panic attack, I tried to lie down on the bed but that just made me more aware of what was happening xx

Ronny
30-12-09, 01:56
Hi,What you are going through is just awful but it is only a dreaded panic attack.You should do breathing exercises,as most panic people breath from the chest,you should,when you breath,breath in from your stomach and hold it for six seconds,then slowly let it all out do this afew times and you will calm down.Try some affermations they also help.
Hope this helps for you and look after yourself.
Ronny xx:)

darrenc
30-12-09, 08:18
It sounds like a classic panic attack to me, caused by you being frightened about the pain in your ear, which by the way is nothing to worry about either.

The acute phase of a panic attack can last maybe 5-10 minutes, but you will feel very much on edge afterwards. This is totally normal I'm afraid, although the feeling will pass. Sometimes I'd have a panic attack in the morning, and feel on edge the whole day.

hypnogood
30-12-09, 12:31
hi, panic attacks will not give you a real heart attack, it will not kill you, and it will not go on forever. Panic attacks are not the beginning of going crazy. They are panic attacks, pure and simple. It is very important that you see a qualified, experienced professional to treat your panic attacks. The disorder will seldom go away by itself and may in fact worsen.Good luck:)

PoppyC
30-12-09, 14:00
Hi
It sounds very much like a panic attack. They are awful. I hope you are feeling better now and not too tired from it.
I find that just going with the flow, knowing the attacks won't harm you and concentrating on breathing techniques helps.
A cup of sugary tea helps too to help raise the low blood sugar level that happens during an attack.A warm calming bath does help too for me.