PDA

View Full Version : Help?

embrace
30-12-09, 10:27
Hello everyone,
I'll try and make this as short as possible...

About 6 years ago, on Christmas morning (like 02:00) or some ridiculous time, I woke up with really bad stomach aches. I ended up being sick a couple of times and my mum started crying and saying that i had ruined her Christmas.
Well 5 weeks after that I was sick like 25 times in 6 hours, (no joke) and it kept happening every 4-5 weeks after that (it went on for about a year :(.)
So we went to the doctors and I had to have an operation on my stomach.

I haven't had it ever since but now everytime I know that I have to go out (shopping,cinema,out for dinner) I just freak out and start to feel sick.

I don't really want to tell my parents as they believe in the 'Mind over matter' approach to mental illnesses ( I had OCD before )
I'm 16 (tomorrow) and I will be starting college in September so I really want to get this sorted out.
Thanks for reading.
Please help :(

Embrace

Edit - Oh and im not scared of actually being sick, its the whole thing of ruining someones day or being sick infront of people (embarrasing)

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum?

gypsywomen
30-12-09, 11:08
first happy birthday for tomorrow ,i am sorry you dont feel well. i am sure the docters will sort out the problem try to have a good day tomorrow xxxx

embrace
30-12-09, 11:16
I dont really want to go to the doctors as that would mean having to tell my parents :blush:
I dont quite know how to tell\them?
x

BabyRachel
30-12-09, 11:23
I totally understand the feeling of being embarassed about being sick (i myself am actually very phobic of being sick lol) i really suggest you talk to your parents and explain everything, say that this issue is bigger than mind over matter and you need their support...

I feel that if you wern't worried about your parents, you would be much much less anxious about dissapointing people... xxx

oscar1
30-12-09, 11:24
I think you should go to the doctors, and try not to worry too much about your parents (I know thats much easier said then done). The most important thing is that your healthy. Do you have another older family member who could go to the doctors with you? Maybe you should also look into councelling. Ask the doctor to refer you if they can.

Good Luck
xxx

embrace
30-12-09, 11:31
Well my sister who is 18 was very good when I told her about it and offered to go to the doctors with me....
BUT I feel that I should tell my parents as they have brought me up for 16 years and taught me everything but at the same time I think it ould be easier if I just went with my sister?.
I'm not worried how they will react as I used to have OCD and they were good about that but I know deep down the will feel dissappointed or maybe guilty?

Thanks for your replies :)
xx

oscar1
30-12-09, 11:59
Talk to your parents about it. Its obviously better not to lie or hide things from them, and if your sister agrees then go to your doctors appointments with her. But I would definitely go to the doctors. Once you go you might feel better because you've taken the first step towards trying to get better, and take control of the situation. But you can always come on here anytime and talk to people.

hypnogood
30-12-09, 12:20
Hi, I don't know if you have a stomach disorder or not, but I know that stomach cramps
are very common symptom of panic attacks. However, if you suspect that you might have problems, go and have a complete examination.

unspoken
30-12-09, 12:24
You can go to the GP completely anonymously, alone. Your family don't need to know. It's something you can choose to share with them.

I can understand your worry. I was ill on my mum's birthday and she was annoyed that I'd ruined it for her. It's not a nice thing at all though for someone to say. You couldn't help that you were ill. The main symptom of anxiety I get is nausea and I'm also scared of being sick in a public place or at a really bad time. Although your body is better, your mind doesn't believe it, which is totally understandable. Do talk to your doctor and see if maybe you can get CBT or counselling. Maybe talk to your parents once you've been to the doctor.

embrace
31-12-09, 11:23
Thanks for all your advice :).
I was thinking though, its like a vicious circle.
I don't want to go out because I'm worried I'll be sick, but then as i rarely go out, when I do go out won't the feeling be amplified as its somthing that I never rally do?

If that makes sense?