PDA

View Full Version : First post - bad anxiety

Jamiesouthern
30-12-09, 20:35
Hey everyone,

Firstly i gotta say this forum is amazing and i love the positive energy around :-) and everyones advice to others has helped me alot. I have been browsing for a couple weeks now so i have decided to post

Ive been suffering from really bad anxiety for about 2-3 weeks now, and its nearly everyday with the odd day off here and there.

Im 20 and a uni student and have never been so worried in all my life. This is the first time i have experienced anything like this.
I have the horrible chest pains and constantly checking my heart to see if its still beating. But am ecg told me it was fine but the worries are always there. I really hate this and it gets me really down :-(

Its new year tomoro and i have plans with my girlfriend and her parents and im worried im going to ruin it with this :-(

Does anyone have any tips on how to relax and stay calm? I wanna enjoy myself tomoro and not have it be a shambles.

Thanks guys

Jamie

i love tea
30-12-09, 21:28
Hi Jamie! I'm new here too - it's good to meet you :D

I don't think there's any magic-wand-type answer for tomorrow, but I was feeling exactly the same way as you just before Christmas (we were going to my husbands family and I was really anxious) but I got myself some Bach flower Rescue Remedy - you can get it from places like Boots. It's not a cure but it really helped take the edge off the anxiety for me in the short term.

Also, I find taking deep breaths helps calm me down - not focusing on anything inside your body or any symptoms you might be feeling, but thinking about something else - imagining you're walking on a beach or something like that. Sounds cheesy, but if it helps, it's worth a go!!!

Hope you're able to enjoy tomorrow :)

cascade70
30-12-09, 21:51
Well from the new year i am going to accept that i have anxiety as i plan to lead a heatlhy lifestyle and eat a lot better and make myself happier, through that i believe i will conquer this horriable condition,

Veronica H
30-12-09, 22:39
:welcome:Jamie. Glad that you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronica

Jamiesouthern
30-12-09, 22:45
Thanks for the replies :-)

I have rescue remedy lol i used it for my driving test :-) i cant believe i never thought of that before lol

And im studying personal fitness trainin at uni and LOVE fitness and working out. But recently stopped weight lifting cos i keep thinkin something may happen to my heart :-( stupid i kno but i will eventually get back into the swing of things :-) exercise is one great passion of mine

As for tomoro im gonna have a great time with my girlfriend and try and forget about it, cos i want a good night out for a change, not panicing and going home :-(

Jamiesouthern
30-12-09, 22:49
Wow i will look into that book :-) my loan day is soon so that will be am investment

reader 2009
31-12-09, 00:03
hi jamie
i can recommend claire weeks too! it answered alot of things that i'd suffered with for years...suddenly it all made sense!

anyway have a good new year-and don't work to hard when term starts remeber to relax and be kind to yourself!

all the very best
reader 2009

Typer
31-12-09, 12:41
Hi Jamie,

No its not stupid to worry...I guess its all part of the anx. My anx seems to manifest in worrying about my health these days...so I can relate.

Glad you found the site. Its great inst it.

Jamiesouthern
31-12-09, 19:39
I went through a phase of thinking i had everything lol but its all good. Least i kno what it is and i can relax a little. Well as much as i can.

Jamiesouthern
01-01-10, 07:39
Well firstly i would like to wish everyone a happy new year :-D i hope you all enjoyed yourselves lol

But i thought i'd post as im awake. Woke up about an hour and a half ago with a mild anxiety attack? Now im scared to go back to sleep lol jus needed somewhere to focus my attention whilst i calm down :) i was hoping to get a good night sleep aswell :-( i hate this, i miss my sleep lol

Anyways im going to attempt to get back to sleep :)

Happy new year :-D

Typer
02-01-10, 14:11
Hope you did get back to sleep. Take care

Gaza
02-01-10, 14:19
Dr Claire Weeks is amazing and her book *Peace from Nervous Suffering* was a god send for me. Really helped me understand what was going on and how we add to the anxiety problem with second fear. Anyway, if you can locate yourself one of her books I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how much your adding to the problem and what can be done to reduce your symptoms.

Here's another method I use to calm myself and restore my inner peace when I'm beginning to get more anxious......use this video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j5Z4E2wkh4&feature=PlayList&p=EDA601702DFFF20F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

Hope this helps - Gaza

Jamiesouthern
03-01-10, 01:04
Thank you very much :) and i cant wait to get that book lol its my first buy when i get my loan :)

And i will try that :)

victoria_s
03-01-10, 01:22
god i remember when i used to get chest pains so so so bad when i first started with panic a couple of years ago. like you i used to make my partner check if my heart was still beating! (i have to laugh now sometimes but at the time it was absolutley horrific). by all means make sure you have a check over at the docs and an ecg (i think its called), but when they say your heart is fine , please believe them! it took me sooooooo long and every now and again i still doubt it but hey im not over this by no means just yet :) ... i really annoy myself sometimes when i worry so much about things i completely exhaust myself out physically and mentally to the point where i cant be bothered to do the things i like ...then later think ''damn i didnt have a heart attack (etc) last night, i wish i could of stopped thinking about it and got some sleep then i would of been able to do that today!!'' ..if that kind of makes sense...ah its late and im waffling on...:hugs::):winks:

think of that quote... *today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday..*

victoria_s
03-01-10, 01:24
i know this may sound silly but it used to help me if i left the tv on and sound very low... :) in my bedroom (i forgot to add that oops) if i have trouble sleeping ,

Jamiesouthern
03-01-10, 01:41
I have a habit of listening to music when im in bed now lol when i wake, jus pop it back in :)

And i did have an ecg and it was clear lol but i jus worry to much :) every ache or pain and my mind races lol

victoria_s
03-01-10, 01:46
me too. i sometimes wish i had a faith that i believed there is life after death so i wouldnt be so bothered and not have this immense fear of dying. that is by far my biggest fear that everything evolves around. ...

if you have had an ecg which is fine you will be totally fine.. do you mind me asking if you live on your own? i always find things much harder if im alone in the house? take care x

Jamiesouthern
03-01-10, 10:46
I live with my girlfriend :) shes there for me alot which helps :) but sometimes i feel she gets annoyed with me waking up at stupid oclock in the morning or having attacks. I jus dont want it to drive us apart. She said its fine but theres only so much she can take.

Im rambling lol