PDA

View Full Version : Hypoglycemia

BabyRachel
01-01-10, 07:00
This is the second time I have become hypoglycemic.. I get nauseous, feel faint, shake, sweat, get pins and needles all over, anxious and the first time it happened I couldn't see.

Should I go to the doctor about this?
Could I have diabetes? It feels so horrible, I just want it to be fixed and not happen again, I already feel horrible enough from my anxiety medication now this!!

Any help - much appreciated.

(sorry if this is in the wrong thread, will be happy to move it if it is)

xx

darrenc
01-01-10, 07:09
I get all those symptoms when I'm really nervous, are you sure it's hypoglycemia and not just anxiety?

By all means see the doctor about it, but don't make an appointment especially for this.

BabyRachel
01-01-10, 08:32
Well both times I was not anxious and it felt TOTALLY different from anxiety... My mum who is diabetic was with me the first time and she said it was hypoglycemic.. And also it gets better when I consume sugar when it happens (what mum told me to do) so I am assuming it is.

xx

Just.A.Girl.x
01-01-10, 11:35
Hey hunny :)

I get this too! It is TOTALLY different from anxiety...Ive been told that I have hypoglycemia but the doctors have just told me that the only way to maintain it is by diet and the main thing is to have small meals often..like if i go maybe 6 hours without food in the day I get an attack thing and they are HORRIBLE...if you do get one you need to eat some carbohydrates straight away (not sugar!!)

I think if we were diabetic it would happen on a daily basis with the diets we have hehe!

Hope you had a good day hunny and Happy New Year!
Love you lots
Candy xxx

BabyRachel
01-01-10, 11:41
Awww thanks for replying hun!! I can't believe you get them too! We are identical.

Cheers for the advice, hopefully it wont happen again but if it does i'll eat carbs! xxxx

BigDaz
01-01-10, 14:14
I felt like this, doctor arranged a test and it turns out I'm type 2 diabetic. It was like being diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder, nothing really changed, I just have a name for it.

BabyRachel
02-01-10, 02:40
I'm sorry to hear that BigDaz.. Did they give you methods of managing your diabetes? Also how did they test for it? Was it a blood test? The kind where you don't eat for hours beforehand? xx

BigDaz
02-01-10, 13:39
It was a bit odd because I went to the doctor with symptoms of low blood sugar, and diabetes is the opposite - your sugar's too high.

The actual test was done at the local hospital and pretty simple. They give you glucose syrup to drink, then you wait around and they test your blood at regular intervals to see how you respond to it. Took about 3 hours I think. If you're blood sugar doesn't fall within a certain range, you're diabetic. It's a bit black and white, your either diabetic or you're not but I think in reality there's quite a bit of grey area between the two.

I'm not on any medication, it's managed entirely by diet. Type 2 means I'm 'glucose intolerant' so I just have to avoid sugar which is fairly easy really. I was issued with an electronic blood sugar monitor which was helpful. Being too high, too low, or merely anxious were really hard to tell apart without it. I just use now and again to keep an eye on it.

As JustAGirl says really, eating carbohydrates like bread and potato are the best things to eat if your sugar's low. Having low blood sugar is really unpleasant and I'll do whatever it takes to avoid it which is generally eating at regular intervals. I pretty much always carry food with me now, just in case I need it when out and about.

I generally find my sugar level tends to drop off quicker if I'm anxious. Although it can be very hard to tell when anxiety and low blood sugar have almost identical symptoms like being frail, faint, shaky and just feeling odd. So managing my anxiety and sugar go a bit hand in hand.

sb001f8994
02-01-10, 16:28
Hi,
I'd just like to add that my daughter, who is 16 often used to go very pale, shakey and sluggish. As I was diabetic when pregnant with her and there is diabetes in the family I got her tested, shes fine but was told her blood sugars rush to her boots when shes hungry...great excuse to eat hey!!! She's fine and seems to be growing out of this but I make sure she eats properly and can always tell if shes missed her lunch!
Take care,
Carol x

BabyRachel
03-01-10, 06:28
Thanks BigDaz, im trying to eat regularly now to avoid it happening again, its very very horrible...

And TY Carol for the info - im definatly trying to eat properly and hopefully it will work out!!