PDA

View Full Version : not done a thread in ages but....

rebeccad
01-01-10, 13:02
i am really going on a downward spiral worrying about als, stupidly googled this morning as i have had a bad finger spreading into my hand and have done for about 8 weeks, i have had muscle twitches all over since march of last year and either worry over ms or als, after reading netdoctor it says that als usually starts with weakness in the hands now im really worried, i often wake up with my hand numb in the night and this is also bothering me. I have been doing ok lately but this now has got me really worried, i havnt been to the docs over my hand as he thinks im an absolute nut case im sure. I have been lots and lots of times over the twitches and had reflexes and optic nerve checket etc..... Does anybody think this could be the first signs of als? im so worried i feel sick, my husband not home till late and im alone with the kids i honestly have a gut feeling it could be as it doesnt ever get any better.

KK77
01-01-10, 13:38
I've posted a lot of times on this subject so I may be repeating myself here but these sorts of illnesses (MS, ALS, MD, MND) would have far more symptoms than just twitching and problems with your hand Rebecca.

Checking your eyes and reflexes is apparently a more accurate test for these things than even MRIs because these things don't always show up on them, so if your doctor is happy with your tests you should be reassured that you're fine.

I know that they say that these diseases can start with small things like this but it would get a lot worse and you'd definitely know that something was wrong with you! I've had similar symptoms as you for years now and the doctors can't find anything wrong with me.

Dazo
01-01-10, 15:32
I have feared als for a long long time and have had the same kind of symptoms as you, plus some more.
I have seen 3 !!!:scared15: neurologists and they all say its down to anxiety.
I am sure yours is too.

Daniel

rebeccad
01-01-10, 16:24
thanks for the reply its just i cant believe that you can have so many twitches and now a pain in my finger/hand and also when i tense my calf muscles i dont know if one looks thinner than the other, mad i know but could this be muscle wastage? im so worried about this and really cant tell my hubbie or my parents as they are so so sick of hearing me go on.

Dazo
01-01-10, 16:57
thanks for the reply its just i cant believe that you can have so many twitches and now a pain in my finger/hand and also when i tense my calf muscles i dont know if one looks thinner than the other, mad i know but could this be muscle wastage? im so worried about this and really cant tell my hubbie or my parents as they are so so sick of hearing me go on.

I am quit sure your calfs are fine, even if they would be different.
We are all different and if a calf is thinner than the other it may be so.
I know people having that and they dont have those deceases.

Also remember that when anxiety strikes its hard to think clearly.

regards
Daniel

KK77
01-01-10, 22:29
thanks for the reply

Were you referring to me or Dazo?

rebeccad
02-01-10, 09:15
both xxx

tashbarnes87
02-01-10, 11:17
rebecca, i know it doesnt help you at the mo but we are identical last night i was standing in the mirror staring at my legs as i am convinced my right thigh is thinner i ran downstairs to my bf & he just rolled his eyes. Every single night besides 1 thisweek i have woken up with a completely numb right hand and my little finger is the worst i can guarentee you we both do not have ms or als. i think the hand thing is a form of carpel tunnel syndrome as mine only happens in my sleep i bet yours does too? also i have been twitching like a mad woman today are you tired? it normally makes things worse x

tashbarnes87
02-01-10, 11:19
look at this :)

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59986

rebeccad
02-01-10, 12:07
hi thanks tash, thanks for the link i had a little chuckle as i now remember you writing it lol. Its not really the numb hand thing its more of the pain in my hand i have it when i spread my fingers out on my right hand. Although if i let myself think about my numb hand it does bother me. Perhaps its normal to have 1 leg thinner does your muscle look more defined than the other? i notice every little dent or mark on my skin and its driving me mad, and the twitches are really bad at the moment really big ones aswell. They didnt bother me for a while and they did seem to get better but now they are back with avengance when i mention it to my hubbie he is so uninterested i dont even know why i bother. Thanks for replying good luck with the hospital xxx