PDA

View Full Version : Agraphobia

ann01
02-01-10, 12:33
Hi everyone, just thought I would post a thread. My agraphobia is quite bad again at the moment, I cant go out on my own only to my parents house which is two streets away and can only go there in the car. I cant go anywhere else without my mum, I have been having a terrible fear of anything happening to her recently as I dont know how i would cope without her, its becoming a big problem for me as I am more or less constantly thinking about how I would be without her.
I feel ill everyday with lightheadedness, headaches feeling off balance and generally not well, I have tried quite a few anti depressants but cant get through the side effects. Is anyone recovering from agraphobia without meds? I am having cbt which is helping but I still feel awful everyday, I do try to go out everyday even if only for half an hour.
When i do go out my legs go very weak and wobbly like i cant walk i feel froze to the stop which is really scaring me at the moment (does anyone else get this?)
I really want to get back to my job as i have been off sick since june with the agraphobia. I dont know how much more of this illness i can cope with.
wishing everyone at no more panic a very happy new year
Ann x

Slothette
02-01-10, 16:31
Hi there

Sorry to read that youre having a bad time at the moment.

I'm recovering from agoraphobia without meds as I dont like the side effects.

It is possible to improve without them as I've gone from being totally housebound to going most places with a "safe" person.

I'm now working on going to places on my own by taking baby steps which I think is the best way to do it I think.

I just cant go another year being dependant on people for things. What would happen if as you say, something happened to the people I rely on?

I just need to stand on my own two feet. It's very hard at the beginning to push yourself to go out a bit further (well it's still hard!) but I hope that 2010 is going to be my year....nothing to lose and everything to gain. :)

Lex xx

belle
02-01-10, 16:42
Hi there.
I can totally relate to this, apart from the bit where you can go out alone. I can't go anywhere alone - at all.
Like you, my mother is my safe person too. I can go pretty much anywhere with her...within reason...lol.

I have NO IDEA how to change this.

x

mummy4
02-01-10, 17:22
poor you hun you sound very much like myself and i dont go anywhere without my husband its a horrible feeling it really really is. i too cant visit my mum unless i drive my car there and its only 2 min walk. xx

lizzie29
02-01-10, 17:53
I have similar problems. My parents are my "safe" people. I live an hour away from them, but constantly have to know where they are and that they're at the end of a phone. I guess the main way to overcome it is to do stuff without them and push myself, but it's so hard (as I'm sure you all know). I think starting off small is important. Every tiny step we make needs to be valued, as it's all progress. Then repetition. Once you are more comfortable doing something (even just going to the end of your driveway/path/road) keep doing it. It'll become easier and when you feel happy with that step, progress a bit further. It may take time and you may become frustrated, but it's all positive progress.
I've seen two people on here arranging times where they both go to the end of their paths at the same time, and they said it really helps them to know someone else is doing it at the same time. Maybe that's something that could be done here?
Hope any of that helps. :)

ann01
02-01-10, 20:34
thank you so much for your replies, sometime I feel so alone.
lkenny that sounds a really good idea.
I never realized there where so many suffers of agraphobia. Im so tired of feeling ill all the time.
Ann x

mummy4
02-01-10, 21:45
know how you feel hun im totally exhausted by it all x