PDA

View Full Version : Confused about anxiety chest pain - please help

skippy66
02-01-10, 16:11
Last night sitting watching TV I suddenly had this horrible spasm of severe pain in my lower chest, slightly to the left. It lasted 2-3 seconds max, but accompanied with it were:

- a strong feeling of impending doom "this is it"
- my heart started pounding and beating faster than normal
- I broke out in a sweat
- felt as though I was about to pass out momentarily

This morning I woke up feeling absolutely fine and have felt fine all day, until 10 mins ago when, lying on the sofa watching TV, I'm starting to get a few twinges of pain in the same place, as if the severe pain episode is about to happen again. My heart rate quickens with every twinge, and the feeling of impending doom is back.

I also have PVCs every day.

Is this anxiety or am I about to have a heart attack??

I hope anxiety but Im confused because I heard anx-related chest pain was tightness and dull ache as opposed to short severe spasms.

poppy1
02-01-10, 16:14
sounds to me like a huge panic attack.
Apparently heart pain comes on on exercise and relieves on rest and last for a few minutes and would be accompanied by sickness or dizzyness.

skippy66
02-01-10, 16:19
sounds to me like a huge panic attack.
Apparently heart pain comes on on exercise and relieves on rest and last for a few minutes and would be accompanied by sickness or dizzyness.

This is what I keep trying to convince myself, I've had all the heart tests and apart from PVCs they say fine. I'm only 28.

BUT I've had panic attacks before, they started about 5 years ago, the first one in a supermarket, and NONE of these panic attacks have involved severe stabbing pain for a few seconds. They have had all the other symptoms, feeling of impending doom being no. 1, but no pain.

Ella_Jayne
02-01-10, 16:48
Severe stabbing pain that lasts for a few seconds? Yep, I have that far too often. I've had many tests done on my heart (too many to mention) and everything has come back fine.

My doc said that maybe the pain was muscular, which I find hard to believe because like you I'm always at rest when it happens.

I can only put this down to panic attacks and anxiety. Maybe when you felt the pain your anxiety levels soared instantly causing you to have a short panic attack? I honestly don't know. But it doesn't sound heart related. Heart related pain happens in the centre of the chest and comes on during exercise and relieves during rest.

Your only 28 so unless you have a very strong family history of heart problems, I highly doubt the pain is anything to do with your heart.

For sheer peace of mind, why don't you see your doctor. Maybe when you are reassured that your heart is fine, then you won't feel so anxious about it when/if it happens again.