PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram or Escitalopram? I need advice please

shotokansho
02-01-10, 20:46
Hello all. I have been on 10mg of Escitalopram since september, despite the fact that they work really well for me and they have stopped my panic attacks i have still been suffering with my OCD quite bad, and sometimes felt quite teary.

My GP decided the best course of action would be to take me off the 10mg of Escitalopram and put me on 40mg of Citalopram. She told me that the Citalopram would work better with the intrusive thoughts. She said that she can't increase the Escitalopram to much like you can with the Citalopram. I'm just really concerned because this seems to be such an extreme jump, not only changing drugs but a higher dose too.

What is the difference between the two, are they related? What do you think the chances are of side effects from Citalopram after taking the Escitalopram since September? I'm a bit worried about the change and need some ressurance. I took my first Citalopram this morning and today i have felt like my head is too heavy for my shoulders...weird but i dunno if its my imagination.
Thanks for reading and all advice :hugs:

suzy-sue
02-01-10, 23:09
They are related ,but Escitalopram is purer ..I always was given they were better but ,dont really know for sure .1OMG of Escit is the equivalent of 20 mg of CIT .The usual max dose is 40mg but some have been perscribed up to 60mg ..Like with all changes in meds there will be the odd side effect ,but because they are basically the same it should be minimal .I would guess its just your body adjusting to the switch thats making your head feel weird ,there are chemical differences .Dont worry they wont last long and getting anxious about it will only make it seem worse ..I hope you feel better soon .Luv Sue :hugs:

KK77
02-01-10, 23:29
Sue's right: escitalopram is just the "purer" form of citalopram and therefore it's more potent (stronger) and 10mg escit = approx 20mg cit.

The problem with escit is that there isn't the flexibility of dosing that cit has. 20mg is actually the max I think but many GPs don't like prescribing it at that dose from what my pharmacist friend tells me.

It's basically the same thing and there's no real evidence that one's better than the other. I personally think cit is better because of the dosing and I don't think from what I've read that there's any major differences in terms of side effects.

BabyRachel
03-01-10, 00:58
The above commentors are right. Escitalopram is just the newer, purer version of citalopram. It is rumoured to have less side effects than citalopram. The maximum dose of escitalopram is 20mg, the usual dose is 10mg.. But there have been questions as to if the 20mg does any more benefit than 10mg.

I have been on both citalopram (for depression) and escitalopram (for anxiety, OCD & depression). I personally found citalopram didn't provide me any benefit but escitalopram has helped my OCD and anxiety, but not my depression. What your doctor seems to be doing is trying to find the best drug for you personally. Some people swear by escitalopram, others by citalopram. Drugs can't affect everyone the same.

Give it time, the side effects will pass - and hopefully you will get lots of improvement!! xx

shotokansho
03-01-10, 10:14
Thanks everyone. It's good that all the answers are the same lol. It has made me feel a little easier about it. I guess i just have to give it time. I had just got so comfortable to escitalopram that the change was scaring me a little.
Thanks again.
xx

NoPoet
03-01-10, 13:25
I am now comfortably on 40mg of citalopram, having gone up from 20mg over the last month, and I find it deadens most of the pain of intrusive thoughts, and has given my mood a huge boost.

Citalopram is supposed to have more side effects than escitalopram. I strongly recommend you build up to 40mg slowly. I didn't have any side effects from increasing my dose but I did it carefully.

shotokansho
18-01-10, 00:05
Thanks. I'm in my third week now of 40mg Citalopram and i feel much better. I have had no side effects and the intrusive thoughts are really mimimal, so i am pleased i managed to pluck up the courage to take them. Thanks again everyone.