PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling with panic

Ciara23
02-01-10, 20:53
Hi everyone,

It's my first time on here. I'm feeling really alone and struggling to cope with my panic attacks. I suppose I just want to know that there are others out there who are experiencing the same thing.

My problems started a few years after I was diagnosed with cancer. Everything went fine with the operation and I'm now clear but ever since, I get so anxious whenever I get the slightest ache or pain. I've been on Xanax for years now and it feels like I will never be able to be free of it. I'm five years married and desperately want to have a child but I don't think I could bear all of the illness that seems to accompany pregnancy.

On top of all of this, my husband is at the end of his tether with the panic attacks. He can't seem to show me any empathy and gets very aggressive when they happen, which inevitably makes them worse.

I'm so ashamed of my situation and don't have anyone to talk to so any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Ciara

nomorepanic
02-01-10, 20:54
Hi Ciara23

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

crissy
02-01-10, 21:19
sorry to hear you are struggling, your husband does not understand if he has never suffered, we have and are here to help, we understand your anxiety as most of us are suffering in one way or another, please try something different from your routine, i knitted a bobbly scarf last week took my mind away from anxiety whilst i was trying to figure out how to do it, you will be ok
thoughts of calmness are coming your way
love crissy

yvonne_uk_98
02-01-10, 21:20
Hi Ciara23,

Sorry to hear that you had cancer and I am very pleased for you that it has completely cleared. I have panic attacks, I'm sorry to hear that yor partner can not cope with your panic attacks. I do the breathing exercise and listen to some relaxing music. I also find talking to someone can help, and coming on here helps a lot.

Yvonne

Ciara23
02-01-10, 21:23
Thanks for the kind messages everyone. It is reassuring to know that support is out there.

Corinne
02-01-10, 21:30
How wonderful that you beat cancer, Ciara123! You can beat the panic attacks too! I totally understand about the hubby. This forum is the best place to vent We all have problems of a similar nature and can understand and sympathize.

Just a thought -- my pregnancies were the best times of my life. I had no panic, nervousness or headaches.

Crissy's idea of setting your mind in another direction was a good one. Yesterday, I downloaded a hidden object game which kept me occupied all day. I didn't even notice the shakes.

Hugs to you!

Southern_Belle
03-01-10, 00:37
Hi Ciara,

Welcome to NMP. I'm so glad you were able to kick cancer. As for being pregnant, I never got ill once with either one of mine, so you never know. Many here will understand how you are feeling and will give their support. So glad you found us.

Best wishes,

Laura

Macchiavelli
04-01-10, 01:39
cead mile failte, ciara :)