PDA

View Full Version : OCD on Hollyoaks

k_paranoid
25-11-05, 23:19
Hello all.
I was just wondering if anyone watches Hollyoaks[?] I know its not the best programme but im a student and it is one of those soaps that everyone watches together. Anyway If you do I think that the character of Cameron (who has always been slightly neurotic and bit of a clean freak) is going to have an OCD storyline. However it is the usual (and seems only) form of OCD that is ever explored on television...handwashing and overcleaning, fear of germs. I used to obsessively wash my hands but there is so much more to it.
Anyway it winds me up when OCD is tackled on TV sometimes as they are made out to be crazy...not enough explanation goes into the disorder. I wonder what comments my housemates will make on it?
How do you guys think it will be portrayed[?] Off the top of my head I can think of the Jack Nicholson film 'as good as it gets' that shows OCD and I think its done quite well. Has anyone else seen it? Has anyone seen the aviator? I havent yet...apparently DiCaprios performance of a brilliant man with OCD is really good. Anyone else know any films or programmes which tackle the issues of OCD?
Take care all
k_paranoid xx:D

STILL HAVENT FOUND WHAT IM LOOKING FOR

rabbit25
24-12-05, 11:24
I have been watching this Storyline and am glad OCD has got into the Storylines in Hollyoaks.

Cameron is a great actor and I think he portrays it quite well.

soular
12-01-06, 11:36
Interesting....

I don't watch Hollyoaks, it does my head in to be honest. Lots of eye candy though! Isn't there that American TV series called Monk where the main guy is a detective with OCD? I've only seen it once but I seem to remember that's the idea behind the show. I've been watching an unhealthy amount of Friends on E4 lately (for reasons unknown!) and Monica seems to be quite an OCD stereotype with her cleaning and ordering rituals. OCD seems to be something the media pokes fun at 99% of the time, although I haven't seen The Aviator - I suppose that may show it in a more serious light.

superfran23
12-01-06, 13:39
I have been watching this storyline too and i find it interesting. i don't have OCD myself, however i agree that it seems to be one type that is protrayed on TV. i am an avid fan of soaps, and a few years about Sally on home and away had a similar storyline to hollyoaks.
in a good way hollyoaks is showing that OCD can happen to anyone no matter what age, and also for me the "student" side of the storyline is interesting. it shows that all students are not drunken lazy louts and have serious stress and depression issues to deal with as such a yong age which can be quite scary.
well done the writers of hollyoaks for dealing with such an issue and protraying it well to the younger generation. [^]

kirky
13-01-06, 14:02
Hi there, yes its great that stuff like this is exposed but its always the same thing infact i got booted of a well known forum for questioning this subject. ocd is a multifaceted dissorder if one facet takes the lead time and time again then it aint fair.

but this restores the balance www.freewebs.com/pureocd

take a look

Allie
15-02-06, 00:33
The Cameron OCD storyline in Hollyoaks has been tackled with great depth and respect for the condition (although i was freaked out that his flatmates thought he was losing it as OCD is no a psychiatric disorder and had to stop watching it as it upset me!)!

[No](Did i just admit that I watched Hollyoaks lol?!)![No]

[Yeah!]Despite this I too have found that OCD depicted on TV centres too much on the washing/fear of germs when their are so many manifestations of the disorder. (My main obsession is with my breathing and health issues and my main compulsions involve seeking reassurance and holding certain objects in my hands and between my legs and in my hands to dispell the thought). I'm also scared of having my feet off the floor in case i suffocate! Please don't ask me to rationalise that as i know it is irrrational![Sigh...]

[Yeah!]There are so many facets to my anxiety such as phobias/panic disorder/agoraphobia that I feel TV shows often simplify the different ways in which anxiety can affect the sufferer and those around them.[Yeah!]

[Yes!]There was a one off drama screened on ITV1 last Winter, called 'Dirty, Filthy Love', which dealt with OCD specifically and prompted me to go to the doctors with my obsessive/compulsive symptoms as the main character had a fear of sitting down in case his spine was to break (I believed that sitting down would cause me to stop breathing!). Its well acted and explores issues like how the disorder affects relationships with people around you and more importantly how you can get you life back on track despite this dibiltitating condition, whatever form it takes! [Yes!]

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber